Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sscollins

Alternate to Pivot column when using direct query, splitting out custom field columns

I have data coming in through a direct query, but I have a couple of tables that hold all custom fields in one column for the custom field name, and another for the custom field's values. I need the field name column to be the column header and the values to populate. I cannot use the Pivot Column due to the direct query connection. Has anyone encountered similar issues, is this a case for needing a script to split up? I would even settle for choosing a couple of columns and not all of them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sscollins ;

For DirectQuery,

However, upon load, no data is imported into the Power BI store. so if you want to split in power query you must change the mode to import.

Or you consider using DAX to split; Or create a new table in Power Query to copy the columns that need to be split, and then split, and join the relationship as well

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sscollins ;

For DirectQuery,

However, upon load, no data is imported into the Power BI store. so if you want to split in power query you must change the mode to import.

Or you consider using DAX to split; Or create a new table in Power Query to copy the columns that need to be split, and then split, and join the relationship as well

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors