Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jiexika24
Frequent Visitor

Addressing 'Errors' in dataset with null values

Hello, when refreshing my dataset, I get thousands of 'Errors.'

These 'Errors' are due to:

1. The cells being empty. My dataset becomes too large and laggy if I replace all the blanks with 'null'.
  2. A data type mismatch. For some columns, new data is different from the old data (e.g., was Text, now Whole Number). I don't need to reference these columns with mismatched types but I don't want to remove the columns in case there is a need in the future. 

It seems to give an 'Error' for rows even with data that I need. (Image 1 is PowerQuery; image 2 is my Excel sheet showing that there is data but it will show the whole row as 'Error'):

errors.png

data.png

How can I best address these 'Errors' without removing the data that I do want to keep? Thanks for any pointers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I would just delete the "Changed Type" step and then make every column type text. But you really need to deal with the changing data--what's up with that?

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jiexika24
Frequent Visitor

@watkinnc Thanks so much for your input! Some of the survey questions changed over the past 10 years, causing differing data types within certain columns. But your comments made me realize I should just delete those columns in Power Query, since my graphics don't actually use those. Really appreciate it.

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I would just delete the "Changed Type" step and then make every column type text. But you really need to deal with the changing data--what's up with that?

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors