Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmccarver
Frequent Visitor

Why is there a datasource gateway id when there are no results in GET /gateways?

Why does this gateway id exist when I import a report .pbix file? 

I'm attempting to update my sql credentials to be the service principal used to create the profile, workspace, and dataset. I'm using this gateway Id but my attempts to set the service principal as the sql login are failing.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmccarver ,

If I understand correctly, you want to set the service principal as the credential of SQL data source. You can refer the following blog to get it:

Steps to Have a Service Principal Take Over a Dataset in Power BI When Using Data Gateways – SQLServ...

1. Add Service Principal as a user of the data source(s) in Data Gateway – this can be done in the Power BI service
  2. Add Service Principal as an Administrator of the Data Gateway – this can be done in the Power BI service
  3. Make Service Principal the owner of the dataset – this must be done via PowerShell
  4. Bind the dataset to the Data Gateway data source(s) – this must be done via PowerShell

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply. My task is to automate this process. We are building a multi tenant solution: "embed for customers" and each customer gets a profile, workspace, and a copy of reports. Each customer has a separate database. 

After importing a copy of the base reports to the customer's workspace, I need to update something so that when the report is loaded, it connects to the correct customer database. 

All the reports are direct query. 

I was able to set up a VNET gateway and I have verified network connectivity to my azure sql instance. I just need to make each customer's report point to the correct database. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.