Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Interact
Regular Visitor

User role for PowerBI embedded

Hey guys.

I work with a web system where we use the PowerBI Premiun embedded solution.

In many tutorials, is necessary release the role "Global Administrator" for the Azure AD user that I use to generate the access token to my reports, however, I would not want to release this role as it gives a lot of power to the user.

Could you tell me what roles the Azure user really needs so I can use it with the embedded solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Interact,

Power BI embedded analytics offers two solutions:

• Embed for your customers - Allows you to build a an app that uses non-interactive authentication against Power BI. Your customers are likely to be external users, and they don't need to sign in using Power BI credentials to view the embedded content. Typically, this solution is used by independent software vendors (ISVs) who are developing applications for third parties.

• Embed for your organization - Allows you to build an app that requires signing in using Power BI credentials. Once signed in users can only consume embedded content they have access to on Power BI service. This solution is aimed at big organizations that are building an app for internal users. 

From th official documentations below, neither of the above solutions specifically requires the account permission type to be Global Administrator. The following are the prerequisites for using either solution:

1. Embed for your customers: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your customers application

2. Embed for your organization: Embed Power BI content into an application for your organization

For the discussions of this problem, you can also check out the replies from @GuyInACube in this thread below.

For Azure Support team: What permissions are required to generate a PBI Embedded token?

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Interact,

Power BI embedded analytics offers two solutions:

• Embed for your customers - Allows you to build a an app that uses non-interactive authentication against Power BI. Your customers are likely to be external users, and they don't need to sign in using Power BI credentials to view the embedded content. Typically, this solution is used by independent software vendors (ISVs) who are developing applications for third parties.

• Embed for your organization - Allows you to build an app that requires signing in using Power BI credentials. Once signed in users can only consume embedded content they have access to on Power BI service. This solution is aimed at big organizations that are building an app for internal users. 

From th official documentations below, neither of the above solutions specifically requires the account permission type to be Global Administrator. The following are the prerequisites for using either solution:

1. Embed for your customers: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your customers application

2. Embed for your organization: Embed Power BI content into an application for your organization

For the discussions of this problem, you can also check out the replies from @GuyInACube in this thread below.

For Azure Support team: What permissions are required to generate a PBI Embedded token?

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.