Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Don-Bot
Helper II
Helper II

Use XMLA Endpoint to identify what reports have certain fields in their visuals

We currently have an apps own data embedded instance.  Then we have a large Semantic Model that all clients connect to through RLS.  I need to update some field names to the model which will break clients reports downstream.  

Is there a way for me to identify what clients have the fields that need to change in their visuals so I can either tell them that this change is coming or make the change for them?  

Each client has their own workspace as well.  So this would be 2 steps, looping through each workspace and then looking at each report in each workspace to see what fields are in what visuals.

I'm still researching how I could do this.  So I haven't tried anything yet.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Don-Bot ,

Based on my research and testing of the XMLA endpoint in PBI, what it can support and do is to communicate between the client application and the engine that manages the Power BI workspace and semantic model in relation to the model schema of the dataset that corresponds to your PBI report, and my understanding is that there is no relationship between what fields you have put in each visual in the report and there is no way to connect to capture any relevant information, so my conclusion is that "which clients need to change fields in their visual objects" has nothing to do with what you are able to do with the XMLA endpoint. My understanding is that it doesn't matter, and I can't connect to capture any relevant information, so my conclusion is that "which clients need to change fields in their visual objects" has nothing to do with what the XMLA endpoint can do, and you may need to suggest to the client that they check for themselves what the XMLA endpoint in the PBI can do. What, you can refer to this document specifically.

Semantic model connectivity and management with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Don-Bot ,

Based on my research and testing of the XMLA endpoint in PBI, what it can support and do is to communicate between the client application and the engine that manages the Power BI workspace and semantic model in relation to the model schema of the dataset that corresponds to your PBI report, and my understanding is that there is no relationship between what fields you have put in each visual in the report and there is no way to connect to capture any relevant information, so my conclusion is that "which clients need to change fields in their visual objects" has nothing to do with what you are able to do with the XMLA endpoint. My understanding is that it doesn't matter, and I can't connect to capture any relevant information, so my conclusion is that "which clients need to change fields in their visual objects" has nothing to do with what the XMLA endpoint can do, and you may need to suggest to the client that they check for themselves what the XMLA endpoint in the PBI can do. What, you can refer to this document specifically.

Semantic model connectivity and management with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.