Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

feelthelight14
Frequent Visitor

Fabric REST API connection - GIT

Hi!
I have created Entra ID app and assigned delegated permissions: Tenant.ReadAll, Workspace.GitUpdate.All, Workspace.ReadWrite.All.

I would like to use Git API functionality, but during establishing of connection I am receiving an error:

{
  "requestId": "xxxxxx",
  "errorCode": "PrincipalTypeNotSupported",
  "message": "The operation is not supported for the principal type"
}

App has assigned Admin priviledges to that particular workspace that I am trying to get GIT status.
Worth to add that I am able to use other functionalities like: Get Domain, List Workspaces etc. In the documentation it is mentioned that 'Service principals are not supported', but why some of services are working and some not? Should be that App added somewhere in Admin Tenant settings as well?

I will really appreciate your help, thanks! 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @feelthelight14,

As @lbendlin said, these part of fabric rest api still in preview so they may not work as common rest api and support all type of features and authorizations.

You can also refer to the following official documents about fabric rest api usage and it mention the service principal mode not supported.

Microsoft Fabric REST APIs for automation and embedded analytics - Microsoft Fabric REST APIs | Micr...

>>App has assigned Admin priviledges to that particular workspace that I am trying to get GIT status.
Worth to add that I am able to use other functionalities like: Get Domain, List Workspaces etc. In the documentation it is mentioned that 'Service principals are not supported', but why some of services are working and some not? Should be that App added somewhere in Admin Tenant settings as well?

In summary, these features may not fully release to global environment so some of they can be used but the others not. (these parts did not clearly mention in the documents, if you want to know more about them you can consider opening a support ticket to contact to the dev team to get detail information)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @feelthelight14,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the official document about service principal limitations if it helps for your scenario:

Embed Power BI content in an embedded analytics application with service principal and an applicatio...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, but it's not helpful. The question was why it does work only for some Fabric API and for some not.

If I had to guess I would say that auditing considerations are playing a role.  Anything "destructive"  should be possible to link back to a real person.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.