Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vijaykvs
Employee
Employee

Unauthorized error when trying to export report using Powershell command Export-PowerBIReport

I am trying to export pbix report to my local machine. I have admin access on the workspace and am able to list the reports. However, I'm getting "unauthorized..." error while trying to export the report. Appreciate any help here.

Here is the code I'm using

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount

Export-PowerBIReport -Id XXXXX -WorkspaceId XXXXX -OutFile .\ExportReportByPowershell.pbix -Verbose

Error Message:

Export-PowerBIReport : Operation returned an invalid status code 'Unauthorized'
At line:12 char:3
+ Export-PowerBIReport -Id $reportId -WorkspaceId $workspace.Id -OutF ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Power...rtPowerBIReport:ExportPowerBIReport) [Export-PowerBIReport], HttpOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Operation returned an invalid status code 'Unauthorized',Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Reports.ExportPowerBIReport

VERBOSE: Request Uri: https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/xxxxx/reports/xxxxx/Export
VERBOSE: Status Code: Unauthorized (401)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Limitations when downloading a report .pbix file

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There's a long list of restrictions when it comes to PBIX download.  Validate that your scenario is not covered by that list.

Can you please share those requirements with me. I didn't see much in the documentation. Thanks!

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Limitations when downloading a report .pbix file

That worked, thank you. Going by the error, I was wondering if there was a limitation with accessing the report. I see that the Large Semantic Model was set on the report. I am able to export after turning that off.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.