Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

fhm_2022

Two power bi tabs getting data from two different table without having any any relationship

Hi,

Just wondering if it is possible to create two different visuals in two different tabs in a single power bi file where each visuals are having different data source, like one data source from EXCEL and the other would be from ORACLE tables?

I really appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @fhm_2022 ,
You will have two different sources of data, two different pages in your power bi report. The short answer is no these do not need to be connected in the data model. This is actually very simple to do.  Set this up in your desktop, and then publish to the Power BI Service.  You will need to set up two different gateways - one to each datasource, and then set your dataset to automatic refresh. The Service goes out to each data source and gets the refreshed data.  It gets more complicated when you DO WANT the sources to be connected. I can reccommend Matt Allington's book Supercharge Power BI for around $30 on Amazon.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Nathaniel_C_0-1653935051232.png

Below is one page with one table from one source.

Nathaniel_C_1-1653935132895.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
fhm_2022

Perfect! thanks for all the help! I really appreciate!

fhm_2022

Thanks, again. 

So, for example, I will have sales data from Oracle for which i will have a tab as sales data and i will have my visuals for this data set. For the second tab, I will have quote data from excel files and i will have different visuals and metrices for this data set. So, to have this two tabs fully functional for two different data sources and to get those data refreshed automatically, do i need to connect these two different data tables in power bi?

Hi @fhm_2022 ,
You will have two different sources of data, two different pages in your power bi report. The short answer is no these do not need to be connected in the data model. This is actually very simple to do.  Set this up in your desktop, and then publish to the Power BI Service.  You will need to set up two different gateways - one to each datasource, and then set your dataset to automatic refresh. The Service goes out to each data source and gets the refreshed data.  It gets more complicated when you DO WANT the sources to be connected. I can reccommend Matt Allington's book Supercharge Power BI for around $30 on Amazon.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Nathaniel_C_0-1653935051232.png

Below is one page with one table from one source.

Nathaniel_C_1-1653935132895.png

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @fhm_2022 ,
Yes it is possible to create two visuals from two different data sources in one power bi file.  It is done all the time.

Nathaniel

Thanks, Nathan! I really appreciate. Do the tables need to be connected in the model view, or they can stand alone without being connected?

Hi @fhm_2022 ,

Please give me more details.  If I understood your first post, my answer to this post is no they do not. I will post a sample pbix for you, but a little more info is needed.

Nathaniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.