Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bcr901
Frequent Visitor

Sign in fails for embedded report

I see a lot of history for this issue.  The latest I'm aware of is issue ID 532 that talks about this issue.  In Issue ID 532, they talk about reloading the browser window after clicking the "Sign in" button for the embedded visual.  This previously worked as described in Issue ID 532, but no longer works as of today 12/18/23.   I've attempted this method with the latest Chrome, Edge, and using a private browser session.

Currently the embedded visual does the following.  On page load it displays the Sign in button.  Clicking Sign in flashes a popup that quickly disappears.  Embedded visuals updates from Sign in to Sign with a new button "Open in new tab".   The "Open in new tab" button wasn't previously displayed until today.  Clicking the Open in new tab opens the embedded report in a new tab to the app.powerbi.com website with the same Sign in button.  I can see a new parameters added to the query string.  Decoding the query string reveals the following: clientSideAuth=0&fallbackError={"flow":"Reportembed","info":"pkce_not_created: The PKCE code challenge and verifier could not be generated. Detail:TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'digest')","code":"pkce_not_created"}.  Clicking the Sign in button for the visual loaded in a new tab goes right back to the Sign in button and nothing loads.  Manipulating the query string by removing the clientSideAuth=0 from the new tab will get the visual to load.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
bcr901
Frequent Visitor

Looks like I found the answer to my own question.  The embedded code is hosted on an internal only web application using HTTP.  That's no good anymore, has to be on HTTPS now for the embedded visual to load.  I'll have to submit a ticket to our IT to get a SSL cert installed on the web server.  😞

View solution in original post

Registered just to reply.

I have PowerBi reports embedded to nwjs.io application, and reports stopped working. Had to use chrome.webRequest.onBeforeRequest to remove &clientSideAuth=0 from the url to get reports working. 

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
abcd306

i have embedded report in https site and still has this problem.

bcr901
Frequent Visitor

Looks like I found the answer to my own question.  The embedded code is hosted on an internal only web application using HTTP.  That's no good anymore, has to be on HTTPS now for the embedded visual to load.  I'll have to submit a ticket to our IT to get a SSL cert installed on the web server.  😞

Registered just to reply.

I have PowerBi reports embedded to nwjs.io application, and reports stopped working. Had to use chrome.webRequest.onBeforeRequest to remove &clientSideAuth=0 from the url to get reports working. 

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

Hey, I'm having the same issue but instead of a nwjs.io app, I have it on Flask and tried requestly api to perform the same change in the URL as you did with chrome.webRequest.onBEforeRequest but not working correctly unless I open the embedded report in a new tab. How did you do the webrequest? so I can try that option while we get IT to perform a deeper troubleshooting. 

thanks in advance! 

Hi, My bubblegum sollution was basically just using addListener to try replace "clientSideAuth=0" with nothing if it exists. It's been working so far, but i believe somebody more skilled can make it neater.

chrome.webRequest.onBeforeRequest.addListener(
        function(details) {
          return {redirectUrl: details.url.replace("&clientSideAuth=0","")};
        },
        {urls: ["https://app.powerbi.com/*"]},
        ["blocking"]);

Other option that is untested but could work. Create separate file that you request when you need to open powerbi report. for example.

powerbi.html?report=[url to powerbireport]
then replace clientSideAuth from report url parameter and redirect to the new url with for example window.location.

Microsoft hopefully at some point starts fixing things that doesn't work and stops breaking working things. 

Hi everyone,

I've found same problem. I am using the powerBi reports embedded in other application. It shows me two buttons, 'Sign in' and 'Open in a new tab'. At the second option, I can delete the 'clientSideAuth=0' like other user said, but I need to visualize the report in the first option, I need to press Sign in, choose my user email and see the report. 

Does someone what to do?

Thanks, Dani

Hi, were you able to find any solutions?

No, sorry, I still have same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.