Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

HMEUserAnup

RLS has stopped working

Hi,

RLS feature was working earlier with embed token but now it is not. It is just giving embed configuration with non-RLS. Nothing has changed from code perspective. 

var datasetId = report.DatasetId;
var rls = new EffectiveIdentity(username: email, new List<string> { datasetId.ToString() });
rls.Roles = roles;

var generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "View", datasetId:datasetId.ToString(), rls);

tokenResponse = await client.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(workSpaceId, reportId, generateTokenRequestParameters).ConfigureAwait(false);

I see that in april, SDK/functions were updated to use V2. This is the link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-row-level-security

Is this change breaking for earlier RLS implementation? Even if I change to V2, its not working with earlier workspaces. 

Please let me know if there are any other limitation to look into since this works for non-RLS reports. 

Thanks,

Anup

4 REPLIES 4
HMEUserAnup

Is there any licensing issue that can be the cause? I have pro license. Anything else needed ? Though embedding works without RLS, so I dont think there should be licensing issue unless there is specific requirement for RLS.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HMEUserAnup,

What type of workspace are you working on? The V2 workspace means the new expression workspace.

If you do not work with this type of workspace, changing the API interface operations should not help with your scenario.

In addition, you can also take a look at the following link that provides the embedded sample applications if helps:

Embed content in your Power BI embedded analytics application - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

No, we are not working with the v2 workspace. However, when we tried implementing RLS functionality through code, by using the standard implementation and  by changing it to v2, both the implementations are generating same type of token response. But are there any issues reported for normal workspaces? as the token that is getting generated, is somehow not helping us in refreshing and applying up with RLS  on the power bi report on the client side.

We went through your shared link and we have implemented in a same way.

Was there any resolution to this. I've just discovered that the RLS has stopped working on my PM Report. I used RLS so that people can only look at specific pages (to protect sensitive information). This was working fine till a couple of weeks ago. I have a premium per user licence and I'm only sharing the information within my own organisation. I've changed nothing in Power BI other than refreshing data. 

Hope someone knows what has happened.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.