Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

innocence84
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Token Generation

Hi,

I generated a authorization token via postman. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 1.29.15 pm.png

Then I used this token while calling the groups Rest API: (https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups)

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 1.29.50 pm.png

But the https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups Rest API call just returns one row. However there are dozens of groups/workspaces in the Power BI environment. What may be the cause of the issue?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @innocence84 ,

You can refer the following links to grant the service principal access to the workspaces:

By Powershell:

Add-PowerBIWorkspaceUser (MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Workspaces) | Microsoft Learn

Add-PowerBIWorkspaceUser -Scope Organization -Id 23FCBDBD-A979-45D8-B1C8-6D21E0F4BE50 -UserEmailAddress john@contoso.com -AccessRight Admin

Grant the access in Power BI Service:

Enable workspace access

vyiruanmsft_0-1693302027433.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @innocence84 ,

As I tested in my side, it can return all workpaces which the account can access to. 

vyiruanmsft_0-1692767765272.png

Could you please tell me whether the account info used in the below screenshot be granted to all workspaces? 

vyiruanmsft_1-1692767853953.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks,

I received the client_id and client_secret from Azure Active directory app registration.

You asked: "Could you please tell me whether the account info used in the below screenshot be granted to all workspaces?"
How can I grant the Azure Active Directory app registration for all workspaces?

Hi @innocence84 ,

You can refer the following links to grant the service principal access to the workspaces:

By Powershell:

Add-PowerBIWorkspaceUser (MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Workspaces) | Microsoft Learn

Add-PowerBIWorkspaceUser -Scope Organization -Id 23FCBDBD-A979-45D8-B1C8-6D21E0F4BE50 -UserEmailAddress john@contoso.com -AccessRight Admin

Grant the access in Power BI Service:

Enable workspace access

vyiruanmsft_0-1693302027433.png

Best Regards

innocence84
Helper I
Helper I

Hi again,

I checked Azure portal and Power BI admin portal. I could not find any settings that corresponds an app registration and a Power BI workspace.
Is there any configurating for granting access to a Power BI workspace for the given Azure Active Directory app registration?  How should we model analysis like license consumption? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.