Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pkmelee337

Power BI Rest Api with the ADAL JS library

Hi,

In a web part I am creating (only JS) I am using the javascript ADAL library to authenticate users and retrieve access tokens. I have set up te correct registration in AD, found a report ID, ADAL config is correct with the right enpoint, client ID and I am retrieving the access token with the correct graph resource. So far, so good.

Now when I am trying to retrieve an embed report (using the npm powerbi-client package or via jquery post) I am getting the 403 (Forbidden) error. I tried googling stackoverflow and this forum, found some answers and all off them came back to the same solution: "add username and password to your login call".

Haven't tried it so far because it is not even possible to add it in the default adal js library (as far as I know), but in an javascript app this will for sure result in an security issue. Where do I store the username and password or does the user have to login every time he accesses the power bi web part?

Am I missing something and how do you guys handle this problem?

With kind regards,

Henk ter Harmsel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@pkmelee337 wrote:

Hi,

In a web part I am creating (only JS) I am using the javascript ADAL library to authenticate users and retrieve access tokens. I have set up te correct registration in AD, found a report ID, ADAL config is correct with the right enpoint, client ID and I am retrieving the access token with the correct graph resource. So far, so good.

Now when I am trying to retrieve an embed report (using the npm powerbi-client package or via jquery post) I am getting the 403 (Forbidden) error. I tried googling stackoverflow and this forum, found some answers and all off them came back to the same solution: "add username and password to your login call".

Haven't tried it so far because it is not even possible to add it in the default adal js library (as far as I know), but in an javascript app this will for sure result in an security issue. Where do I store the username and password or does the user have to login every time he accesses the power bi web part?

With kind regards,

Henk ter Harmsel

@pkmelee337

Since this is not Azure AD forum, so we may not give you better support for ADAL JS library.

However I can still give you my two cents.

At first, please ensure that you've grant sufficient permissions to the registered app.

Secondly, based on my test, username and password are not mandatory. Based on my test, the accesstoken generated from authorization code approach can work to get the reports from Power BI.

You need.

1. send a GET request

https://login.windows.net/common/oauth2/authorize?client_id={client_id}
&response_type=code
&redirect_uri={redirect_uri of your registered app}

2. send a POST request

POST /common/oauth2/token HTTP/1.1
Host: login.windows.net
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Cache-Control: no-cache
Postman-Token: 990496e9-1d11-7aa5-faf7-f3dc152e8beb

client_secret={client_secret}&client_id={client_id}&grant_type=authorization_code&resource=https%3A%2F%2Fanalysis.windows.net%2Fpowerbi%2Fapi&redirect_uri={redirect_uri}&code={code from above}

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@pkmelee337 wrote:

Hi,

With kind regards,

Henk ter Harmsel

@pkmelee337

Since this is not Azure AD forum, so we may not give you better support for ADAL JS library.

However I can still give you my two cents.

At first, please ensure that you've grant sufficient permissions to the registered app.

Secondly, based on my test, username and password are not mandatory. Based on my test, the accesstoken generated from authorization code approach can work to get the reports from Power BI.

You need.

1. send a GET request

https://login.windows.net/common/oauth2/authorize?client_id={client_id}
&response_type=code
&redirect_uri={redirect_uri of your registered app}

2. send a POST request

POST /common/oauth2/token HTTP/1.1
Host: login.windows.net
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Cache-Control: no-cache
Postman-Token: 990496e9-1d11-7aa5-faf7-f3dc152e8beb

client_secret={client_secret}&client_id={client_id}&grant_type=authorization_code&resource=https%3A%2F%2Fanalysis.windows.net%2Fpowerbi%2Fapi&redirect_uri={redirect_uri}&code={code from above}

Thank you very much for your reply. I found out my error with the ADAL library thanks to your code. I thought that the code received from the loging request was the same as the access token you're receiving from the get access token request. So my mistake was to always use the loging code token on the first request. Nevertheless the second time it was receiving the access token and that didn't work either. I also simplified the app registration in Azure, so that might have helped too. Will do some tests on that later on.

With kind regards,

Henk ter Harmsel

Hi,

Could you share the sample code?

I am struggling to refer the ADAL.js properly in a webpart and getting accessToken.

Regards,

Yasotha

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.