Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srduval
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI API Get Paginated Datasource

I'm trying to find the power bi API that would allow me to see the dataset details of a paginated report. Basically i'm trying to use the API to look into the paginated reports (and pbix if that's possible) and log the SQL object refrerenced along with the report name, to form an index of sorts to help navigate changes. 

srduval_0-1691770203398.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The export Report API appears to allow me to back into the RDL/XML code and tease the command text out of the source code. Doesn't work for pbix files that have been compressed however, so I'll have to keep digging for those

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

I believe you should try this API for a list of paginated report data sources 

Reports - Get Datasources - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

The export Report API appears to allow me to back into the RDL/XML code and tease the command text out of the source code. Doesn't work for pbix files that have been compressed however, so I'll have to keep digging for those

Am i missing something, when I review the API on the website as well as running it myself, this API only gets me to the database level, looking to take it down the next level to say it's running the stored procedure dbo.xyz

Indeed, the get datasources REST API works for normal and rdl (paginated) reports as well. I've tried. In PowerShell, use Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod. If the data source of your paginated report is a dataset, and you want to get the underlying SQL-Server, you need a subsequent call of Datasets - Get Datasources - REST API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.