Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

suneet_madahar
Regular Visitor

Need help in generating continuous Data using the Python Scrip and then send to Power BI

I have a requirement where I need to send the continuous stream of data by Python Script to Power Bi to build a Dashboard. For example I can say like a Stock Market dashboard where the Price of the stock keeps on changing every second.

I am doing POC on this and I was trying to get this script mentioned below to generate the random data and send that data to Power BI

import random
import time
from datetime import datetime
import pandas as pd

# Initialize an empty DataFrame
columns = ['DealNumber''DealDateTime''DealCountry''Amount']
data_frame = pd.DataFrame(columns=columns)

# Function to generate random data for the fields
def generate_random_data():
    deal_number = random.randint(1000099999)  # Random 5-digit DealNumber
    deal_date_time = datetime.utcnow().strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%fZ")  # Current UTC timestamp in ISO 8601 format
    deal_country = random.choice(["India""USA""UK""Canada"])  # Random country
    amount = round(random.uniform(100.01000.0), 2)  # Random amount between 100 and 1000 with 2 decimal places

return [deal_numberdeal_date_timedeal_countryamount]

# Infinite loop to generate data every 5 seconds and append to the DataFrame
while True:
    random_data = generate_random_data()
    data_frame.loc[len(data_frame)] = random_data
    print(data_frame)
    time.sleep(5)  # Wait for 5 seconds before generating the next set of data

When I try to connect this code to Power BI it gets stuck on this message below as I am generating random data every 5 second. 

suneet_madahar_0-1704726510657.png

Please suggest how I can resolve this issue or any python example that can show continuous data so that power bi can utilize that data

2 REPLIES 2
suneet_madahar
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-shex-msft

I have already explored the streaming dataset and it is very much alligned with my requirement  but I have a hard stop at that because Streaming dataset or Push dataset only allow Add or Delete. We need update feature as well to update the record previously send to Push dataset, but update option is not available.

Please advice.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @suneet_madahar,

In my opinion, I think power bi desktop not suitable to handle with live data. Perhaps you can consider to deploy a steaming dataset to respond and display the live data tile on power bi service side.

Real-time streaming in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.