Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SourabhSharma
Frequent Visitor

How to run python script.

HI All,

I am new to power bi.

I want to run python scripts in power bi.

I can see online there are tutorials in which they shows how to link to python script and all.

May i know if there is a way to run python script in power bi browser mode ? 

if yes can you please share any refference document that I can refer.

6 REPLIES 6
Chwayita-Momoza
Helper II
Helper II

When you publish a report to Power BI Service (browser mode), the Python scripts are not executed there. However, you can still utilize the Power BI Service to refresh and update data in the report, which may involve running the queries and transformations defined in Power BI Desktop, including those involving Python scripts.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SourabhSharma Not sure what you mean by "browser mode". If you are talking about running Python when in the Power BI Service then that should work. You can use Python in Power Query or use the Python visual to run Python. Both should work in the Service. Which one are you doing?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

HI @Greg_Deckler 

by browser i mean by using the link https://app.powerbi.com/

and I am not sure that you are also reffering to the same or not ?

if yes then where can I find the option that you mentioned.

Hi @SourabhSharma ,

Currently, Power BI service does not support running Python scripts directly in Power BI Service. You can create Python visuals in Power BI Desktop, and these visuals will be displayed in Power BI service when you publish your report. You can follow the steps below to get it:

1. Install Python on your local machine and make sure it is compatible with Power BI service. You can download Python from the Python website You also need to install two Python packages: pandas and matplotlib, which are essential for working with data frames and plots in Power BI.

pip install pandas
pip install matplotlib

2. Enable Python scripting in Power BI Desktop by selecting File > Options and settings > Options > Python scripting.

Run Python scripts in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyiruanmsft_0-1703558939613.png

3. You can refer the following links to create Python visual or run Python script:

Use Python visualization:

Python visualizations in Power BI Service | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

vyiruanmsft_2-1703559272092.png

Run Python Script:

How to Run Python Script in Power BI - Zebra BI

Running Python Scripts in Power BI Tutorial | DataCamp

vyiruanmsft_1-1703559251795.png

4. Pulish the repor to Service

However, there are some limitations or considerations in using Python with Power BI:

• Data sources added with Python must be set to public.
  • Only Pandas DataFrames can be imported into Power BI using Python.
  • Scripts that take longer than 30 minutes to run will time out, as will Python visuals that take more than 5 minutes to run.
  • There are a limited number of Python libraries supported by Power BI Service. 
  • Reports using Python can only be refreshed in Power BI Service through a personal gateway (the enterprise or standard gateway is not supported).
  • Python visuals do not support cross-filtering. This means that selecting an element in a Python visual will not cause other visuals to filter by that selection, thus removing some degree of interactivity in the Power BI report.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thankyou @v-yiruan-msft 

definitely this is really helpful.

is there a way to automate this as well ? 

like is it possible to publish the report automatically as well ? 

just in case there exists any APIs to achieve the same ? 

And also I could see there are some limitations of running python script directly to the power bi and then generate the report. may I know if there exist API that we can use to publish the report directly ? rather then creating it on powerBi ?

Thank you for sharing valuable insights.

These four points are help for me. @v-yiruan-msft 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.