Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lawrenceabith
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to Remove the dialog box  when I have a custom chart in Power BI Embedded?

Hi Everyone,

How can I remove this dialog box  when I have a custom chart in Power BI Embedded? We are tyying to open a extenal URL like we can do in a table in Power BI.

image.png

Thanks,

Lawrence

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @lawrenceabith,

As it's a core visual, the table has elevated permissions and clear signalling around what constitutes a hyperlink.

Custom Visuals are heavily sandboxed and don't have permission to open URLs directly - the launchUrl API requests the main Power BI window to open a URL on its behalf and Power BI will prompt the user in this way. Whilst it's not explicitly stated in the doc, and can be a ltitle frustating on the UX for those of us with honourable intentions, its a way of ensuring that hyperlinks are always opened with user consent.

The team have not been keen to change this in the past, but you could always open a new issue to see if this stance has changed.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

Many thanks @dm-p 

I just did this.

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @lawrenceabith,

As it's a core visual, the table has elevated permissions and clear signalling around what constitutes a hyperlink.

Custom Visuals are heavily sandboxed and don't have permission to open URLs directly - the launchUrl API requests the main Power BI window to open a URL on its behalf and Power BI will prompt the user in this way. Whilst it's not explicitly stated in the doc, and can be a ltitle frustating on the UX for those of us with honourable intentions, its a way of ensuring that hyperlinks are always opened with user consent.

The team have not been keen to change this in the past, but you could always open a new issue to see if this stance has changed.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Many thanks @dm-p 

I just did this.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.