Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Getting a token error on PowerBI Embedded Report that is using SSAS on-premise data source with RLS

Hi Folks,

I've been searching for weeks for an answer to this. Unfortunately my search hasn't yielded much.

I made some changes to an existing SSAS tabular model. The changes were not major. I imported a couple of new tables that are independent from the rest of the semantic model. And I added a relationship and a new table to the model. But didn't make any further changes. 

For some reason, when deploying the new SSAS model to PROD to replace the existing as the data source of our Embedded PowerBI report, we keep seeing a token error .

No changes to the RLS (Row-Level Security), no structural changes to existing relationships or tables. All we did was, introduced a new table and a new (one-to-many) relationship to that table. 

What else could be causing this access issue?

7 REPLIES 7

In addition to the above, the implementation of our Embedded PowerBI report is using the Service Principal method.

Hi @JuggernautProf ,

Can you please share more information about the "token error" ? Do you get an error when trying to generate the embed token for your report, or are you getting the error when using the token to view the report?

Did you look at network traces (through browser/fiddler) to see which error is returned?

Yes the token error comes up when viewing the report (please see attached). TokenError.png

This doesn't look like an error from Power BI side. Can it be from your BE code which fails to generate the token?

You should open network traces to see what's failing and/or debug BE code to see what is failing and why.

Sorry, what's BE code?

No changes to the codebase on the front-end. And no changes to the token lately either. 

And I have another Semantic SSAS Model with identical RLS (Row-Level Security) that connects just fine to those embedded reports. No token error whatsoever. 

BE means back-end.

I guess you have a code where you actually call Power BI API to generate the embed token. Is this API call successful? Do you get an error there? Without traces that shows requests being sent to Power BI and fail it's not possible to help.

"Error getting report token" is not an error printed by Power BI side. It comes from your code. You should know how to debug your code to see where it fails, and if it fails because of an error returned from Power BI you will have to try and see that error message you got from Power BI, it might have useful information to understand the reason.

Ok first of all, learn to communicate using plain language. Nobody abbreviates BE or FE when referring to Back-End and Front-End.

No changes to our front and back-end architecture/codebase. The only change made was in the semantic SSAS model. And the change had no impact nor anything to do with the RLS (Row-Level Security). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.