Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

trey
Regular Visitor

Get Reports endpoint returns items in Shared With Me unless I created them

Hi, I'm trying to use the REST API reports endpoint https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/reports. The description says it will return reports in My Workspace. So in the app.powerbi.com dashboard, I can create a report within My Workspace and then the REST API will return it. That works.

However, if I create a new workspace, and then create a report in that, the new report in the new workspace is not returned in the REST API call. That seems intuitive, since it's not in the My Workspace. But, this report will show up in the app.powerbi.com Shared With Me section.

Now, if another user does this (creates a new workspace and then creates a report in it), and they Share the report with me, this report will also show up in my Shared With Me, naturally, BUT it will ALSO show up in the returned reports from the REST API.

So, what I'd like to know is, how can I get a report that I created to be returned in the https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/reports endpoint in this same way (i.e. automatically along with all the other reports in Shared With Me)? I have tried sharing the report with myself, but that doesn't work.

So I guess it seems like the /reports endpoint should be consistent in whether it returns a report that is not in My Workspace but is in Shared With Me, but it seems to be inconsistent depending on if I'm the creator of the report. Am I missing something? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Try the "Reports in Groups"  API call. That gives you the reports in a shared workspace in your tenant. It won't give you access to someone else's "My workspace", though.

Hi, thanks, though the Get Reports in Groups endpoint requires a groupId. Obviously this means I either need to pre-configure a groupId, or use the Get Groups endpoint to get all the groups and then call the Get Reports in Groups for all of them. As you can see, neither of these are ideal. I was just hoping to have the behavior of Get Reports, as in retrieving all reports in Shared With Me, but including those the current user has created. Is it then verified that this is not possible? Could this be considered a bug with the Reports endpoint? What is it about reports that were shared with me that make them be included in the Get Reports call (excluding those I create), even though they're not even in My Workspace?

Thanks

I would call it "working as designed". Raise an idea if that's not sufficient for your scenario.

I suppose it could be as designed. Would you mind taking a crack at this question of mine, to help me understand the design better?

What is it about reports that were shared with me that make them be included in the Get Reports call (excluding those I create), even though they're not even in My Workspace?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.