Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

innocence84
Helper I
Helper I

Generating Authorization: Bearer token for calling Power BI Rest API

Hi,

When I  called a Power BI Rest API via the try it page in the web site (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/datasets-get-datasets-as-admin ),
Microsoft is generating a token that starts with: 

Authorization: Bearer ey...

I need to call Power BI Rest APIs from a dataset/dataflow. For that reason I need to generate Authorization: Bearer token. 
Which API should I call for generating this token?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @innocence84 ,

You can refer the following links to generate the token:

Permission tokens needed for embedding a Power BI app - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Powershell method:

Note: Make sure you have installed the related modules: MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile before call the below command. 

Get-PowerBIAccessToken (MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile) | Microsoft Learn

Get-PowerBIAccessToken

Postman method:

Solved: Power BI REST API using postman - generate embed t... - Microsoft Fabric Community

vyiruanmsft_0-1692080231054.png

Access the Power BI Rest APIs using Postman - Helical IT Solutions Pvt Ltd (helicaltech.com)

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you.

We want to call the Power BI rest API from a Power BI data flow. So it's not an embedded app. We also want to call via Azure Active directory app registration instead of user/password. How can we call Power BI rest API from a dataflow by using app registration?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors