Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

aarish_1
Regular Visitor

Export data from visual of Power BI report which is embedded in Sharepoint online Website using API

Hi there,

I have just started exploring options to export data from visual of a power bi report using API call.

I have founded out that we can do so from embedded Power BI reports.

I have a Power BI report which is embedded in Sharepoint Online Website, I want to export data from visuals of that report using API call.

I am not sure how to achieve this for sharepoint website embedded report may be using visual ids etc.

Please can you help me as how to export data from visual of a power bi report (embedded in sharepoint website).

4 REPLIES 4
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

"Embedded" is not the same as the SharePoint embed, usually when that word is used it's in reference to the premium capacity features. If you want to export data from Power BI semantic models/visuals, the easiest route to take is using Power Automate. There's an action there called "query a Power BI dataset". You can get the DAX query from the specific visual in question by enabling the performance analyzer - there's a "copy DAX" button in there, and you paste that directly into the Power Automate action. 

Hi @christinepayton 

Thanks for your quick response.

I have already explored Power Automate option to export data from visual and have built a solution using the same approach.

However, I came across Power BI Client visual.exportData API (source:- https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/export-data )

I think visual.exportData API requires power bi report to be rendered onto a website. Therefore, I embedded my report to Sharepoint Online using the link from embed report -> Sharepoint Online on PBI Service.

Just wanted to know this embedding on Sharepoint online website is different from if I embed my PBI report on React Application?

Out of the two approaches (i) embedding PBI report on Sharepoint online (ii) embedding report on React Application.

Which approach can help me export data from visual without using DAX query and just by using visual.exportData API as mentioned above.

Yes, the SharePoint integration will let you embed in a really lightweight way, and doesn't require any special licensing other than what viewers would normally need to view a report. "Power BI embedded" is its own thing, not related to the SharePoint embed, and is a premium feature. My guess is that the function you're trying to perform uses the latter: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-capacity

Hi @christinepayton 

Thanks again for helping me out.

So, in order to embed a PBI Report into React application or a website, and then using visual.exportData API (source:- https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/export-data ) in order to export data from visual of the PBI report, I need to have separate license of "POWER BI EMBEDDED"?if yes, then which license and capacity is required?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors