Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

edyck
Regular Visitor

Embedded report with semantic model data source doesn't load

Hi, 

I've implemented the "Embed for your customers" Power BI solution using a service principal for authentication, and have a report that I'm attempting to embed that uses a published semantic model with RLS as the datasource. When I view the report in the Power BI service it loads perfectly fine, but when attempting to view it in an embedded environment with the service principal authentication it times out with the following message:

edyck_0-1715200580386.png

This is not an issue with the service principal authorization or authentication, as the semantic model and report are located in the same workspace, and I can view other reports from that workspace in an embedded environment with no issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edyck
Regular Visitor

So it looks like what happened is I had configured my RLS in a way that Power BI didn't like. I had 12 dimension and fact tables that needed RLS applied, and the way I was doing it initially was to duplicate my `identity` and `tenant` tables so that each table had their own set of RLS tables. This worked fine in Power BI Desktop and the Power BI Service, but once it got to the embedded environment it was unable to process all of the tables/relationships. I was able to do the RLS in a different way that was less resource intensive in the embedded environment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edyck
Regular Visitor

So it looks like what happened is I had configured my RLS in a way that Power BI didn't like. I had 12 dimension and fact tables that needed RLS applied, and the way I was doing it initially was to duplicate my `identity` and `tenant` tables so that each table had their own set of RLS tables. This worked fine in Power BI Desktop and the Power BI Service, but once it got to the embedded environment it was unable to process all of the tables/relationships. I was able to do the RLS in a different way that was less resource intensive in the embedded environment.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edyck ,

Base on your description, it got the resouces exceeded error when embed the report for customer with RLS. However, the report can load normally in Power BI Service. It seems like the report is OK. Could you please check if hit any following limitation to cause the error:

Considerations and limitations

vyiruanmsft_0-1715237585861.png

In addition, please review the following links about the resources exceeded error. Hope they can help you solve the problem.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: The “Visual Has Exceeded The Available Resources” Error In Power BI 

Solved: Service: Visual has exceeded available resources. ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft,

When generating the token I am providing a valid role and username, so I don't think it's that. Also, typically if the issue is a role not being specified an error is thrown when generating the token, not when displaying the report.

I checked out the links you provided, but both of them assume that there is bad DAX or large datasets that are causing resource exhaustion, which shouldn't be the problem in my case because the dataset doesn't have much DAX and the entire data model is only around 12 MiB.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.