Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vai1sf
Regular Visitor

Embed report using react-powerbi-client ends with 403

Hello, 

I'm new to PowerBi and I'm the React developer who consumes the PowerBI report, developed by other team. My goal is to embed a report into our portal and filter it.

I'm granted view permissions (I can see and filter the report in PowerBi) and I have Power BI Pro License.
I've followed this steps https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-secure#how-to-embed-power...  and successfully embeded the report into iFrame in our portal. 

There's a downside that the customer should always login into PowerBi in order to see the portal. That's why I would like to try embeding the portal with react-powerbi-client. I'm doing exactly the same as it's written in the demo, also tried the way it's implemented in the Microsoft Power BI Embedded Analytics Playground (Preview) demo through the report.

The problem which I hit is that I receive 403 Forbidden from 'https://api.powerbi.com/metadata/cluster' call.
A few things makes me suspicious in the headers of the call I made:
1) I have 

Authorization: EmbedToken Bearer <my_access_token> 

while in the playground the "EmbedToken" string is missing

2) I have

X-Powerbi-Hostenv: Embed for Customers

while in the playground the value is "Embed for Organization" and that's what I want.

This is my configration for the PowerBIEmbed component:

{
type: 'report',
embedUrl: baseUrl,
tokenType: models.TokenType.Embed,
accessToken: undefined, //after successfull aquire the token is set
permissions: models.Permissions.All,
}

P.S. In the Azure portal we granted permissions to the PowerBi services, following this steps: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/change-permissions?tabs=Azure 

Any guides what am I missing or links to documentation how to solve 403 Forbidden through PowerBiEmbed react component would be helpful! 

Best regards,

Iva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vai1sf
Regular Visitor

UPDATE: Incorrect embedtoken type is used, should be 

models.TokenType.Aad

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vai1sf
Regular Visitor

UPDATE: Incorrect embedtoken type is used, should be 

models.TokenType.Aad

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @vai1sf,

Perhaps you can take a look the official document about embed with react app if help with your scenario:

How to embed a Power BI item in a React app | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Thanks for your suggestion! This is exactly what I'm doing.
Can you please guide me what are the prerequisite configurations/permissions of the PowerBi report itself in order to be embeded within the application?

Best regards,

Iva

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.