Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ramiromejia
Frequent Visitor

Direct Lake - Power BI slow performance

Hi everyone,

I've developed a workload where I've created a semantic model in Fabric, comprising three tables, each containing approximately 2 million rows. I'm utilizing Direct Lake to directly connect my semantic model to Power BI Desktop. This approach has streamlined the workload, as analysts can access the same semantic model I've established in Fabric.

ramiromejia_0-1715706799477.png

According to Microsoft's recommendation, "Direct Lake mode can be the ideal choice for analyzing very large models and models with frequent updates at the data source." Therefore, I'm not concerned about the size of my model, as it's not particularly large.

Recently, analysts have noticed a significant decrease in the performance of some visualizations, with some taking considerable time to reload. My initial suspicion is that either the DAX expressions used are resource-intensive, or that my current license for Fabric may not be adequate for this data scenario. Currently, I'm using an SKU F2 license.

I am seeking advice on how to conduct a detailed performance analysis to isolate the impact of DAX expressions and Direct Lake on my Power BI dashboards. Additionally, I would like to understand if there are any constraints associated with my current license.

Any insights or recommendations on enhancing dashboard performance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ramiro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ramiromejia,

I think these should be related to your license. It not excited enough resource to handle with handle with huge amount of records and complex Dax expression calculations at the same time.

As the document listed, the F2 license should be the minimum level of the license table and only include 2 CU and 0.25 v-core which not able to process with heavy workload.

Microsoft Fabric concepts - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ramiromejia,

I think these should be related to your license. It not excited enough resource to handle with handle with huge amount of records and complex Dax expression calculations at the same time.

As the document listed, the F2 license should be the minimum level of the license table and only include 2 CU and 0.25 v-core which not able to process with heavy workload.

Microsoft Fabric concepts - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.