Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pan_Forex
Helper III
Helper III

Connect postgresql database on the private NAS server and the powerbi

Hello, I think I've searched the entire internet on this topic and I'm out of ideas. Is there any way to connect powerbi service to the postgresql database on my private NAS server? The problem is that there is no fixed public IP. I also want it to be a free, permanent solution . 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Mostly correct.  The "on server"  part needs qualification. You can install the gateway on any on-prem machine but usually it is installed on a dedicated VM in the on-prem cloud.

local = on-prem

View solution in original post

- install Power BI Desktop (can be on your PC)

- go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ADO.NET Providers

- grab the Npgsql.config file and the Npgsql folder

- on the machine where you installed the gateway go to C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\m\ADO.NET Providers

- paste the file and folder there

- restart the gateway service

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Pan_Forex
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you for your reply, I will check. Do you perhaps know if a DDNS based solution should also work?

Can't see why that would be relevant.  Communication is outgoing, from the gateway cluster members to the Azure cloud. Not the other way round.

Forgive me but I'm not familiar with network connections. All I'm trying to do is connect powerbi online to the database on my servers without any external services. No fixed public IP is not a problem?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You need to install a Personal Gateway  (you can try to do that on the NAS server too but it is HIGHLY discouraged to have the gateway share resources with other apps).  You also need to manually copy the npgsql ADO drivers from Desktop to gateway, as there is currently a bug (installer files missing).

Could you please explain in detail :"You also need to manually copy the npgsql ADO drivers from Desktop to gateway..."? I get the message in powerbi service all the time: Install Npgsql product version 4.0.10.0 or earlier.

- install Power BI Desktop (can be on your PC)

- go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ADO.NET Providers

- grab the Npgsql.config file and the Npgsql folder

- on the machine where you installed the gateway go to C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\m\ADO.NET Providers

- paste the file and folder there

- restart the gateway service

I will ask the question in a different way. Is it possible to connect powerbi service to local postgre database only by using gateway installed on server?

Mostly correct.  The "on server"  part needs qualification. You can install the gateway on any on-prem machine but usually it is installed on a dedicated VM in the on-prem cloud.

local = on-prem

I did everything from the very beginning according to your instructions. I connected powerbi desktop to local postgre database 192.168.0.127:5678, loaded the data, saved and published.postgre.jpgIt says I don't need a gateway because the database is in the cloud and not locally. Any ideas on how to change this?

cute.  Set your gateway to allow refresh of cloud data sources.

Well, I don't see any way to include it.😔 Is it possible that the problem is the personal version of the gateway?

Potentially. You can try to use the enterprise version.

Thanks for all the answers but unfortunately I still can't assign a gateway to this connection 😞 Maybe you could recommend some step by step tutorial on how to connect local postgres database with powerbi service?

As you may have noticed you are on the bleeding edge of this. My experience is limited to an enterprise environment where it works reasonably well. Can't test your setup, sorry.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.