Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

innocence84
Helper I
Helper I

Admin - Get Activity Events

Hi,

We need to use pagination in the Admin - Get Activity Events  API. For the first call we need to pass startDateTime and endDateTime parameters. For the subsequent calls, we need to use continuationToken.

API run is successful by using recursive function in Power BI dataset. However, when we run the same recursive function in the Power BI dataflow, we are getting dependency cycle was detected error message. I tried to implement it with a do while loop and if statement. However I can not find do  while and while keyword in Power Query. I think they are not supported.

I found API pagination example by using List.Generate https://youtu.be/05yhwnuCjRw?t=432
However in the example, page is increasing incrementally. However I need to pass the API call result (continuationToken) to the subsequent API call. How can I implement this in Power BI data flow?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @innocence84,

Perhaps you can try to with a custom function with recursion logic(invoke the function itself in the function internal) to invoke rest API and extract the previous result as parameter in following calculations.

Recursive Functions in Power BI / Power Query — The Power User

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I applied the same logic. I received the code from https://bielite.com/blog/building-a-power-bi-admin-report/ 
Activity Query in the blog post was working in the dataset.

I used the same Activity Query, from the blog post, in a Power BI Dataflows. When I click save button, Power BI is throwing error message and it can not save the dataflow.
I wonder whether Power BI Dataflows support recursive functions.
Thanks

Power_BI.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.