Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Renzo
Frequent Visitor

Access Token, RLS embed capacity

New to Power BI here. Using the embedded capacity, do I still need to generate a token? If so,  is there a limit to how many tokens can be generated like in the Premium per use license or Pro? If tokens are still needed to generate, how can we manage tokens as in how long a token can last or can we generate a token without expiring for each user logging in? What is the best way to do this to limit upload time of reports in our app, right now there is a loading wait time of several seconds before reports show up once entering the page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Renzo ,

As far as I know, you need to generate embed token when you embed your report for customer, then your customers do not need to sign in.

You can refer to this blog  to learn more details about the workload of Power BI Embed.

For reference: How many embed tokens can I create?

Embed tokens with Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license are intended for development testing, so a Power BI master account or service principal can only generate a limited number of tokens. Purchase a capacity for embedding in a production environment. There's no limit to how many embed tokens you can generate when you purchase a capacity. In development testing, you can use free embed trial tokens with a Pro license. To embed in a production environment, you must purchase a capacity.

You can refer to this post to learn more details about how to extend the lifetime of embed tokens.

You can learn from below offical blog about how to embed Power BI Report.

For reference:

Embed Power BI content with service principal and an application secret
Tutorial: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your customers' application

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Renzo ,

As far as I know, you need to generate embed token when you embed your report for customer, then your customers do not need to sign in.

You can refer to this blog  to learn more details about the workload of Power BI Embed.

For reference: How many embed tokens can I create?

Embed tokens with Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license are intended for development testing, so a Power BI master account or service principal can only generate a limited number of tokens. Purchase a capacity for embedding in a production environment. There's no limit to how many embed tokens you can generate when you purchase a capacity. In development testing, you can use free embed trial tokens with a Pro license. To embed in a production environment, you must purchase a capacity.

You can refer to this post to learn more details about how to extend the lifetime of embed tokens.

You can learn from below offical blog about how to embed Power BI Report.

For reference:

Embed Power BI content with service principal and an application secret
Tutorial: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your customers' application

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for clairfying on how the tokens work with the licenses. That helped me figure things out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.