Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BieBel
Regular Visitor

transpose an 'enumeration list'

Hello,

I have this 'enumeration list' that contains 15 different values, listed in one single column as "1;Dhr.;2;Dhr. en Mevr.;3;Juffr.;4;Mevr.;5;Mr.;6;Dr.;7;NV;8;CV;9;Comm. V.;10;BVBA;11;VOF;12;CVA;13;VZW;14;GEMEENTE;15;s.t."

I would like to split and change the orientation to get two colums giving me one colums containing a number and a second colums showing the value belonging tot the corresponding number honorific.png

I tried several actions (transpose, split by delimiter, to rows, ...) but I don't get the desired result. How can I set this up dynamically so that, if there should be a change to the original data (e.g. "4" becomes another value of "16" would be added) I still get the correct table with 2 columns?

Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Venkateshchiluk
Frequent Visitor

Hi @BieBel  To split the enumeration list into two columns in Power Query Editor in Power BI, you can follow these steps:

1. Load your data into Power Query Editor.
  2. Select the column containing the enumeration list.
  3. Go to the "Transform" tab.
  4. Click on "Split Column" and then select "By Delimiter."
  5. In the "Split Column by Delimiter" dialog box, choose the appropriate delimiter (in this case, ";").
  6. After splitting, you'll have multiple columns. Select the columns that contain the numbers and the corresponding values.
  7. Go to the "Transform" tab again and select "Transpose."
  8. This will change the orientation of the data, placing the numbers and values in separate rows.
  9. Rename the columns as needed.
  10. Finally, go to the "Home" tab and click on "Close & Apply" to load the transformed data into your Power BI report

Here's a step-by-step representation of these actions:

1)Original data:

Column
1;Dhr.;2;Dhr. en Mevr.;3;Juffr.;4;Mevr.;5;Mr.;6;Dr.;7;NV;8;CV;9;Comm. V.;10;BVBA;11;VOF;12;CVA;13;VZW;14;GEMEENTE;15;s.t.

2)After splitting and transposing:

Column1 | Column2
1 | Dhr.
2 | Dhr. en Mevr.
3 | Juffr.
4 | Mevr.
5 | Mr.
6 | Dr.
7 | NV
8 | CV
9 | Comm. V.
10 | BVBA
11 | VOF
12 | CVA
13 | VZW
14 | GEMEENTE
15 | s.t.

View solution in original post

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @BieBel 

Download PBIX file with the example below

You can do this by 

1. Adding a column that extracts all characters from the text except numbers
  2. Split the new column by delimiter ; and create new rows
  3. Filter out blank rows
  4. Add an Index column from 1

indcust.png

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Thanks for the solution @PhilipTreacy  and @Venkateshchiluk  offered, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @BieBel , you can create a blank query and put the following code to advanced editor in power query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("JYnLCsJAEAR/ZckHDE4ePqiTSVZB2HiREQw5JniJgq/vd9BLdVd332dKe30I+S/CeAtp/LgXHN7T5KXkP1Qk55LWuaIz1jTGhuY+zxJM0AW11VtUseMOzf13K7DLGS3ZxxRjd4poxVNekg3DFw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    Custom1 = let a=List.Transform(List.Numbers(1,9,1),each Number.ToText(_)),
b=List.Transform(Text.PositionOfAny(#"Changed Type"[Column1]{0},a,Occurrence.All),each if _=0 then _ else _-1)
in b,
    #"Split Column by Positions" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions(Custom1), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Column1"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Split Column by Positions", each ([Column1] <> ";")),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows",";","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c)), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"})
in
    #"Split Column by Character Transition"

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1715060336564.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Thanks for the solution @PhilipTreacy  and @Venkateshchiluk  offered, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @BieBel , you can create a blank query and put the following code to advanced editor in power query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("JYnLCsJAEAR/ZckHDE4ePqiTSVZB2HiREQw5JniJgq/vd9BLdVd332dKe30I+S/CeAtp/LgXHN7T5KXkP1Qk55LWuaIz1jTGhuY+zxJM0AW11VtUseMOzf13K7DLGS3ZxxRjd4poxVNekg3DFw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    Custom1 = let a=List.Transform(List.Numbers(1,9,1),each Number.ToText(_)),
b=List.Transform(Text.PositionOfAny(#"Changed Type"[Column1]{0},a,Occurrence.All),each if _=0 then _ else _-1)
in b,
    #"Split Column by Positions" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions(Custom1), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Column1"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Split Column by Positions", each ([Column1] <> ";")),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows",";","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c)), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"})
in
    #"Split Column by Character Transition"

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1715060336564.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @BieBel 

Download PBIX file with the example below

You can do this by 

1. Adding a column that extracts all characters from the text except numbers
  2. Split the new column by delimiter ; and create new rows
  3. Filter out blank rows
  4. Add an Index column from 1

indcust.png

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Venkateshchiluk
Frequent Visitor

Hi @BieBel  To split the enumeration list into two columns in Power Query Editor in Power BI, you can follow these steps:

1. Load your data into Power Query Editor.
  2. Select the column containing the enumeration list.
  3. Go to the "Transform" tab.
  4. Click on "Split Column" and then select "By Delimiter."
  5. In the "Split Column by Delimiter" dialog box, choose the appropriate delimiter (in this case, ";").
  6. After splitting, you'll have multiple columns. Select the columns that contain the numbers and the corresponding values.
  7. Go to the "Transform" tab again and select "Transpose."
  8. This will change the orientation of the data, placing the numbers and values in separate rows.
  9. Rename the columns as needed.
  10. Finally, go to the "Home" tab and click on "Close & Apply" to load the transformed data into your Power BI report

Here's a step-by-step representation of these actions:

1)Original data:

Column
1;Dhr.;2;Dhr. en Mevr.;3;Juffr.;4;Mevr.;5;Mr.;6;Dr.;7;NV;8;CV;9;Comm. V.;10;BVBA;11;VOF;12;CVA;13;VZW;14;GEMEENTE;15;s.t.

2)After splitting and transposing:

Column1 | Column2
1 | Dhr.
2 | Dhr. en Mevr.
3 | Juffr.
4 | Mevr.
5 | Mr.
6 | Dr.
7 | NV
8 | CV
9 | Comm. V.
10 | BVBA
11 | VOF
12 | CVA
13 | VZW
14 | GEMEENTE
15 | s.t.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.