Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

sort by custom Index order

Still looking for assistance in establising a correct sort order for Slicer:

I create a custom column to set the new Index order, however, when I try to implement it as a slicer it reverts back the alpha sort instead on the established sort order.

the table view looks correct,however, when I change to slicer it reverts back.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

NOTE:  THE 3000+ is out of order, it should follow the 501-3000 selection option.

Please see my previous post:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Reset-INDEX-order-when-data-sort-does-not-give-the-results/m...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kfschaefer I can see the SortID was created in the Query Editor - that will not affect this!

What I suggested is to concatenate the 2 Columns in the Data View and then use that new concatenated column for your slicer

the concatenated column is a new column with a new name - thats why it has ! at the end

in the Data View => Modeling Tab => click New Column => type Live Range! = .....

Sort Slicer 3.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@kfschaefer I beleive the issue you are having is to do with telling PBI how to sort. In PBI desktop click on the data button (looks like a table):

Data tab.PNG

Then click the modelling tab in the ribbon. In the picture above you can see a button called Sort By Column. If you select table 'LiveRangeList' and then select column [Live Range] the Sort by column button will then allow you to sort the Live Range column by the SortID. This will maintain the desired sorting you require.

If this doesnt make sense please let me know.

Thanks,

Giles

I already did that - the issue is when I change the table visualization to a slicer the sort order does not hold.

K

Capture.PNG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kfschaefer 

If you don't mind the numbers in the slicer try concatenating the 2 columns. This will guarantee they'll be sorted the way you want!

Sort Slicer 2.pngSort Slicer 1.png

Thank you for the suggestion, however my SortID is a calculated field and cannot be using in the suggested method:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "SortID", each if [Lives Range]="0-100" then 1 else(
  if [Lives Range]="101-500" then 2 else(
  if [Lives Range]="501-3000" then 3 else(
  if [Lives Range]="3000+" then 4 else(
  if [Lives Range]="New" then 5 else(
  if [Lives Range]="Runout" then 6 else 999))))))

I am also having the same issue with the Months Slicer.  When I convert the table to slicer I loose the correct sort order.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kfschaefer I can see the SortID was created in the Query Editor - that will not affect this!

What I suggested is to concatenate the 2 Columns in the Data View and then use that new concatenated column for your slicer

the concatenated column is a new column with a new name - thats why it has ! at the end

in the Data View => Modeling Tab => click New Column => type Live Range! = .....

Sort Slicer 3.png

thanks I tried it again and this time it worked.

Thanks for your input.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can do the same for your Month Slicer.

If your Calendar Table has Month Number and Month Name Columns

Create a new Column by Concatenating the 2 in the Data View

So you'll get => 01 - January ..... 12 - December which you can then use as your sorted slicer

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.