Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lastnn30
Post Patron
Post Patron

ideas/examples of DAX basic formulas

Hi

I want to practice using DAX. I am obviously a begginer. Can you please give me ideas or suggestions or examples where I can use DAX to find for example total sales, average age, remove duplicates etc.. I just need idea or suggestion so I can think on how to solve these using DAX so I can write them myself and then come here back if I have a problem. Appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lg1551
Resolver II
Resolver II

There is a feature in Power BI called "New Quick Measure". If you right-click in the field's pane you will see it appear. It has options for generating basic calculations without the need to code them out. It codes for you.  Just select the value you want to calculate and the category you want to calculate by (ie. Sales and City). Once you create your measure you can click on it and see the DAX that was created for it. 

Udemy is a great place for learning DAX in laymen's terms as well as YouTube. Power BI is a vast world so just learning how to replicate basic formulas that you would do in Excel (but learn the DAX way) is a good way to start. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lg1551
Resolver II
Resolver II

There is a feature in Power BI called "New Quick Measure". If you right-click in the field's pane you will see it appear. It has options for generating basic calculations without the need to code them out. It codes for you.  Just select the value you want to calculate and the category you want to calculate by (ie. Sales and City). Once you create your measure you can click on it and see the DAX that was created for it. 

Udemy is a great place for learning DAX in laymen's terms as well as YouTube. Power BI is a vast world so just learning how to replicate basic formulas that you would do in Excel (but learn the DAX way) is a good way to start. Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.