Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to make slicer display different text than the value it is filtering

I have a slicer that has some values to help me filter. The values are taken from a table that has more info on it, is there a way to make the slicer have a text value from another column?  ill try and explain with pictures.

the first picture is how the filter is right now, the filter actually works since those values are the ones to filter with, but i would like for the vehiclegroupname to be displayed since that is a visual name that actually means something.

image.png                                             image.png

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

A repeating will filter two (or more vehicleGroupIDs), if you do not want that, then you are trapped.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a visual called "HierarchySlicer" in the marketplace. This will allow you to create a hierarchical slicer. Using this you may set the VehicleGroupName on the first level and then the ID at the second level of the hierarchy. So users will be able to use the slicer by looking at the names and if required, they will drill down to the IDs.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

unfortunately this is not possible, as a slicer does not differentiate between a Key value and a Display value.

From a data modeling perspective it's not relevant which column you use with the slicer, even if the Key column relates to other tables leveraging the relationships of your data model. The slicer selection will used to filter the originating table and filters will be passed to related table using the concept of filter propagation.

There is one thing you might have to consider: meaningful names tend to repeat whereas IDs are made for uniqueness. This means that you have to be aware of duplicate occurences of values in the meaningful column. This means if you select one of this values, behind the scenes more than one row is selected (of course), and more than one value is passed through related tables.Hopefully this provides you with some ideas.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens :

Super clear explanation. Now, how can we deal with it? Inother words: If the user chooses one "meaningful column", behind the scenes what should be chosen is whatever would have been selected if a single Id got chosen. Any creative way you've seen around to deal with it?

Regards,

Hey @Chorda ,

why don't you use the column "vehiclegroupname" on the slilcer?

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Becasue it happens what you said two posts above: "meaningful names tend to repeat ". In my model, meaningful names do repeat, indeed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.