Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NadeemAhamed
Helper IV
Helper IV

how to control power bi report in power bi services

Dear Community.

I have created Power BI report by using the Power BI desktop and published

we have Power BI Pro License,

When users are opening/viewing that power bi report in power bi services they are getting options to edit my report. 

and by using Semantic model user are able to create new report and in Power BI services users are allowed to get data from the system and create report. 

Is there any options to control or avoid any changes in our report from the users and create new report and publish in my workspace. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @NadeemAhamed ,

1.Regarding your question, the viewer cannot be manually refreshed, it requires a participant to do so, but the participant also has the right to edit your report.For the viewer, you can only create higher frequency scheduled refreshes to keep the data accurate.

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

2.If they do have access to semantic model then they might be have access to download the semantic model and do changes right?

The viewer role is designed to allow users to view and interact with content without providing the ability to modify datasets, reports, or access semantic models for editing or downloading.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
NadeemAhamed
Helper IV
Helper IV

@v-zhouwen-msft  & @ChiragGarg2512 

Thank you for your valuable time to read and reply. 

I have tried above option/setting to protect my power bi report from edit.

but if they have permission to sementic model they can download and edit right?

I dont want my users to have any permission rather then read/viewer only.

Hi @NadeemAhamed ,

1.Regarding your question, granting the user the semantic model 'Build' permission just enables the user to create a new report in the workspace based on that dataset.The user will not have download or edit permissions, you just need to make sure that the user's role is viewer.

@v-zhouwen-msft 

As i understood, With viewer role user can't able to do any edit/changes to my report. 

i have one doubt. with this role user can do refresh the data for the report.  

Hi @NadeemAhamed ,

Regarding your question, there are two ways to refresh the data, configure scheduled refresh and manual refresh, neither of which can be performed by an viewer. If you want users to see the latest data, please configure a scheduled refresh.

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Dear @v-zhouwen-msft 

We are planning to provide the manual refresh so that user can do referesh whenever they want. 

my understanding is if user has viewer role they does not have access to semantic model then how can they do refresh.

If they do have access to semantic model then they might be have access to download the semantic model and do changes right?

Hi @NadeemAhamed ,

1.Regarding your question, the viewer cannot be manually refreshed, it requires a participant to do so, but the participant also has the right to edit your report.For the viewer, you can only create higher frequency scheduled refreshes to keep the data accurate.

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

2.If they do have access to semantic model then they might be have access to download the semantic model and do changes right?

The viewer role is designed to allow users to view and interact with content without providing the ability to modify datasets, reports, or access semantic models for editing or downloading.

@v-zhouwen-msft 

Thank you

i got my doubt cleared

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChiragGarg2512 ,thanks for the quick reply, you are correct, I'll make the additions.

Hi @NadeemAhamed ,

As ChiragGarg2512 said, if you don't want other people to edit the report and you want the user to have the right to use the corresponding semantic model of the report, you need to set them as observers in the workspace, and subsequently distribute the 'BUILD' permission for the corresponding semantic model to the user.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1713512346799.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1713512360938.png

vzhouwenmsft_2-1713512381109.png

vzhouwenmsft_3-1713512402524.png

ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

Edit their access in the workspace. Change it to viewer only.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.