Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rons
Frequent Visitor

automatically exporting data from a report

Hey, I'm trying to create a report that shows selected visuals from other reports but without uploading the data again.

I know there is an option in pbi service to create such a dashboard but my organization isn't using pbi service.

i was thinking about just exporting the data of each visual i need but i want to do it automatically.

if someone know how to do that, i would be happy to get some help, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rons 

Currently, Power BI offers several methods for exporting data from visuals, but the automation of these exports, particularly outside of the Power BI service environment, is somewhat limited. The primary method for exporting data from a report visual in Power BI Desktop involves manually selecting the visual, then choosing More options (...) > Export data. This process exports the data into a .csv file. Here for your reference:

Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For automating the export process, one approach you might consider is utilizing Power BI's API, specifically the Export To File API for Paginated Reports. This requires some development effort but can be scheduled using external tools like Azure Functions or Logic Apps to trigger exports at defined intervals. However, this approach is more suited for paginated reports and might not directly apply to exporting data from visuals in the way you described.

These links may help you:
Introducing the Power BI REST API v1.0! | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Power BI REST API; What it is and Why it is Important - RADACAD

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rons 

Currently, Power BI offers several methods for exporting data from visuals, but the automation of these exports, particularly outside of the Power BI service environment, is somewhat limited. The primary method for exporting data from a report visual in Power BI Desktop involves manually selecting the visual, then choosing More options (...) > Export data. This process exports the data into a .csv file. Here for your reference:

Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For automating the export process, one approach you might consider is utilizing Power BI's API, specifically the Export To File API for Paginated Reports. This requires some development effort but can be scheduled using external tools like Azure Functions or Logic Apps to trigger exports at defined intervals. However, this approach is more suited for paginated reports and might not directly apply to exporting data from visuals in the way you described.

These links may help you:
Introducing the Power BI REST API v1.0! | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Power BI REST API; What it is and Why it is Important - RADACAD

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.