Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GabyB

automatic refresh only for two of the three data sources

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to install automatic refresh in Power BI for just two datasources instead of all connected data sources in the report. I have two SQL datasources connected to the report and one on my local computer. The file on my local computer is static and don't need to be refreshed. However, I want to refresh the other two weekly. At this moment I cannot automatically refresh. It doens't give me the option. At this moment, I have to refresh it on my computer and upload it again. does anyone of you know a solution?

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
mgente
Frequent Visitor

You can also put your excel file into a source where PowerBI Service is able to grab it in case of refresh - if you put it into sharepoint / onedrive you can even collect it without the need of a gateway.

Additionally, if you use a common storage like mentioned and if you somehow have to maintain changes to the excel file in the future, you do not need to republish your report again.

If you are sure that this will be static and never changed, you probably can also enter the data directly with the "Enter Data" feature - than you don't have a separate file at all.

Hi mgente, thank you for your reply! This is a good idea. The file is on a one drive of the company. However when I select the sharepoint list of folder it gives only the files on the main drive not the subfolders. Do you have a solution for this? 

larsheinemann
Frequent Visitor

You can simply exclude the desired data source from the refresh. To do that, go to "Transform Data" / PowerQuery Editor and unselect "Include in Data Refresh" - alternatively you could use the XMLA-Endpoint to process/refresh only selected tables.

Hi Larsheineman, Thank you for your reply. I tried your first option but it didn't work. When I upload the dashboard it still doesn't give the option to automatically refresh. The XMLA-endpoint I am not familiar with I have to figure that out. Is there an easy way to do this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.