Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irynad
Frequent Visitor

YTD/MTD/QTD slicer for a Direct Lake semantic model

Hi All,

I've been trying to create a report slicer with the following options - YTD, QTD, MTD - allowing the user to click a button and filter out some visuals accordingly. I have a separate date table in my data model.

I normally use a calculation table for this and put one of the fields on a slicer, but it looks like calculated tables are not supported for semantic models in the Direct Lake mode.

I can't find field parameters to try to work around it either.

Is there a way to create a slicer that would function as expected when connected to a Direct Lake semantic model, considering the limitation of not being able to use calculated tables?

Any help is much appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @irynad 

When working with DirectQuery for Power BI, including Direct Lake semantic models, some features like calculated tables are indeed limited. However, there are alternative approaches you can consider to achieve similar functionality without relying on calculated tables.

Here are some strategies to create time-based slicers in environments where calculated tables are not available:
You can create DAX measures to calculate YTD, QTD, and MTD directly. This method involves using your existing date table and creating measures that dynamically calculate based on the selection in a simpler slicer. For example:

YTD Measure

YTD Sales = TOTALYTD(SUM(Sales[Amount]), 'Date'[Date])

QTD Measure

QTD Sales = TOTALQTD(SUM(Sales[Amount]), 'Date'[Date])

MTD Measure

MTD Sales = TOTALMTD(SUM(Sales[Amount]), 'Date'[Date])

You would then need to create a simple table manually in your database or a manual entry dataset that contains the labels "YTD", "QTD", "MTD". This can be used as a slicer to toggle the views.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.