Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Victormar
Helper IV
Helper IV

Wrong Data type for Date

Hello community,

I am facing an error with a calculated column when it comes to date:

c_AnniversaryDate UDP =
VAR six_months =
    DATE ( YEAR ( [Current year start date UDP] ), MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + 6, DAY (dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
VAR twelve_months =
    DATE ( YEAR ( [Current year start date UDP] ) + 1, MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
RETURN
    IF ( [Current year start date UDP] < TODAY ()
            && TODAY () > six_months,
        twelve_months,
        six_months
    )

"An argument of function 'Date' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small.
I have been researching and seems many had the same problem, what's curious about my case is that before I had another column with the same definition, and never had any problem (I am repluging a Power BI report from an on-premise database to Databricks).

The measures and columns that this calculated column is using are the following ones:
Current year start date UDP =
IF (
    (
        ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[FleetID] )
            || ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractCustomerName] )
    )
        && COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( dw_tbld_chassis[FleetID] ) ) > 1,
    "More than one value",
    IF (
        (
            ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[FleetID] )
                || ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractCustomerName] )
        ),
        MIN ( dw_tbld_chassis[c_CurrentYearStartDate UDP] ) + 1,
        "No selection made"
    )
)

c_CurrentYearStartDate UDP =
IF (
    DATE ( YEAR ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + dw_tbld_chassis[c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP], MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
        < TODAY (),
    DATE ( YEAR ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + dw_tbld_chassis[c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP], MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) ),
    DATE ( YEAR ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + ( dw_tbld_chassis[c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP] ) - 1, MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
)

c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP = DATEDIFF(dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate], TODAY(), YEAR)
Basically what I have changed are the source tables and columns from the on-prem database to databricks. Everything was working before, it's just copy-pasting formulas, I also checked that the data types are the same. 

Hope it makes sense 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help 
2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Consider using EDATE instead.

Thanks, I will try. As an intermediate solution I found that if I remove the blanks from the column Fleet ID the formula works, I guess it has something to do with so many blanks?

BR!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.