Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Victormar
Helper IV
Helper IV

Wrong Data type for Date

Hello community,

I am facing an error with a calculated column when it comes to date:

c_AnniversaryDate UDP =
VAR six_months =
    DATE ( YEAR ( [Current year start date UDP] ), MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + 6, DAY (dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
VAR twelve_months =
    DATE ( YEAR ( [Current year start date UDP] ) + 1, MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
RETURN
    IF ( [Current year start date UDP] < TODAY ()
            && TODAY () > six_months,
        twelve_months,
        six_months
    )

"An argument of function 'Date' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small.
I have been researching and seems many had the same problem, what's curious about my case is that before I had another column with the same definition, and never had any problem (I am repluging a Power BI report from an on-premise database to Databricks).

The measures and columns that this calculated column is using are the following ones:
Current year start date UDP =
IF (
    (
        ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[FleetID] )
            || ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractCustomerName] )
    )
        && COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( dw_tbld_chassis[FleetID] ) ) > 1,
    "More than one value",
    IF (
        (
            ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[FleetID] )
                || ISFILTERED ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractCustomerName] )
        ),
        MIN ( dw_tbld_chassis[c_CurrentYearStartDate UDP] ) + 1,
        "No selection made"
    )
)

c_CurrentYearStartDate UDP =
IF (
    DATE ( YEAR ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + dw_tbld_chassis[c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP], MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
        < TODAY (),
    DATE ( YEAR ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + dw_tbld_chassis[c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP], MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) ),
    DATE ( YEAR ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) + ( dw_tbld_chassis[c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP] ) - 1, MONTH ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ), DAY ( dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate] ) )
)

c_YearsBetweenContractStartDateAndTodayYear UDP = DATEDIFF(dw_tbld_chassis[ContractStartDate], TODAY(), YEAR)
Basically what I have changed are the source tables and columns from the on-prem database to databricks. Everything was working before, it's just copy-pasting formulas, I also checked that the data types are the same. 

Hope it makes sense 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help 
2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Consider using EDATE instead.

Thanks, I will try. As an intermediate solution I found that if I remove the blanks from the column Fleet ID the formula works, I guess it has something to do with so many blanks?

BR!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.