Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArchStanton
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Working Days

I have a Working Days column that produces True / False in my Calendar that works perfectly fine:

Working Days = NOT WEEKDAY('Date'[Date]) IN {1,7}

I would like to incorporate my Public Holidays calendar to the column.

I have tried adding RELATED (see below) but that doesn't work

Working Days = NOT WEEKDAY('Date'[Date]) IN {1,7} &&
RELATED('bank-holidays'[Public Holiday])

Does anyone know how to combine them?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@ArchStanton,

Try this calculated column in your Date table. It requires a 1:* relationship between Date and bank-holidays.

Working Days = 
NOT WEEKDAY ( 'Date'[Date] ) IN { 1, 7 } && ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE( 'bank-holidays' ) ) )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

@ArchStanton,

The two expressions are evaluated independently. The first one works as described (check if Date is a weekend). The second one checks if the date in the current row of the Date table exists in bank-holidays table; if it doesn't, then it's considered a working day (assuming it's not a weekend). The assumption is that bank-holidays contains only holidays. Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@ArchStanton,

Try this calculated column in your Date table. It requires a 1:* relationship between Date and bank-holidays.

Working Days = 
NOT WEEKDAY ( 'Date'[Date] ) IN { 1, 7 } && ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE( 'bank-holidays' ) ) )

Can you briefly explain how this works please?

My understanding is that NOT produces a list of FALSE values if the Date is a Weekend (not a work day), then this list is used as Lookup to the Bank Hoilday table where all NONBLANKS (public holidays) are also counted as FALSE - the 2 are then combined.

Is that correct - does it make sense?

@ArchStanton,

The two expressions are evaluated independently. The first one works as described (check if Date is a weekend). The second one checks if the date in the current row of the Date table exists in bank-holidays table; if it doesn't, then it's considered a working day (assuming it's not a weekend). The assumption is that bank-holidays contains only holidays. Hope that helps.

yes thank you, much appreciated!

That works perfectly - thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.