Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

coatsy35
Frequent Visitor

Why is my slicer showing a blank when the data has not blank?

What causes a slicer to show blank as a value when my data has not blank? I've checked it in Excel and text editor as it's a CSV. There is definitely no blank in the respective column. It's driving my crazy! I know I can filter it out on a page filter but thats not the point, it shouldn't be there in the first instance!

If I create a pivot table in excel and add a slicer, one does not apepar there, so i'm even more confused. If I display the data item as a tabel in PowerBI it only show me the two options I expect. If I turn it into a slicer I ge tan option of blank.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @coatsy35 ,

If your relationship tables contains records who can't correct mapping to related table, it will shows value as 'blank' option in slicer.(blank option means the missing records)

For example:

vrongtiepmsft_0-1710812315364.pngvrongtiepmsft_1-1710812325089.png

and create a relationship between them by "Type".

vrongtiepmsft_2-1710812346849.png

Then drag "Type" or "Color" into visual, (Blank) will display on slicer.

vrongtiepmsft_3-1710812365967.png

And If you slicer (Blank), visual will show data that table B can't correct mapping to table A.

May be you can change the Cross filter direction to single.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @coatsy35 ,

If your relationship tables contains records who can't correct mapping to related table, it will shows value as 'blank' option in slicer.(blank option means the missing records)

For example:

vrongtiepmsft_0-1710812315364.pngvrongtiepmsft_1-1710812325089.png

and create a relationship between them by "Type".

vrongtiepmsft_2-1710812346849.png

Then drag "Type" or "Color" into visual, (Blank) will display on slicer.

vrongtiepmsft_3-1710812365967.png

And If you slicer (Blank), visual will show data that table B can't correct mapping to table A.

May be you can change the Cross filter direction to single.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I was going to say there are no relationships, but actually there was one sneeky one in the background as i'd imported the file orginally from Excel. Thank you for reminding me this causes that issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.