Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Ibu
Frequent Visitor

When multiple visuals filter a column, how to selectively apply any one filter elsewhere?

Sorry for the mouthful of a title 🙂 It's me again with my ageing report made up of a date slicer, a chart, and a matrix.

Both the date slicer and the chart filter the Date[Date] column. It should be possible to select an individual month in the chart to focus on it, as is done in the picture below. That said, the chart is displaying running totals, and "focusing on a month", to the matrix, means it should still consider all transactions in the period (as filtered by the slicer) up to the selected month (in the chart). 

In other words, the matrix should consider the start date as defined by the slicer and the end date as defined by the chart. In this example, startDate = 11/23/2012 (beginning value of slicer) and endDate = 11/30/2021 (end of chart selected bucket).

I only know how to use ALLSELECTED from the matrix to get the intersection of all outside filters (in this case it would be 11/1/2021-11/30/2021). Is there a filter or strategy that would achieve my goal?

Ibu_1-1668606449803.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Ibu , You should use after slicer option in that case .

If not you might have to consider an independent date for the slicer

//Date1 is independent Date table, Date is joined with Table
new measure =
var _max = maxx(allselected(Date1),Date1[Date])
return
calculate( sum(Table[Value]), filter('Date', 'Date'[Date] >=_max))

Need of an Independent Date Table:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fGGmg9fHI

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Ibu , You should use after slicer option in that case .

If not you might have to consider an independent date for the slicer

//Date1 is independent Date table, Date is joined with Table
new measure =
var _max = maxx(allselected(Date1),Date1[Date])
return
calculate( sum(Table[Value]), filter('Date', 'Date'[Date] >=_max))

Need of an Independent Date Table:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fGGmg9fHI

Thanks @amitchandak , using a separate Date table makes sense. I have yet to try it but believe it should work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.