Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TM_Visual
Advocate III
Advocate III

When adding a dynamic value to a text box, some measures do not appear in the list of options

I have a report with a lot of measures. In a text box, I have selected '+ Value' to add a dynamic value to the box, and the 'ask a question about your data' box allows me to start typing and intellisense-generates a list of possible measures to add. However it only shows me a small number of the measures that should be avaialable.

For example, I have a series of measures which output decimal numbers. The simplest measure is named [FTE Enrol]. If I start typing "fte enr", I see suggestions for the measures [FTE Enrol 2020] , [FTE Enrol 2022], [Predict FTE Enrol]. But I don't see [FTE Enrol] or [FTE Enrol 2021] on the list of options, even if I type out those as full names. It's as if they don't exist.

I do have Q&A enabled in the options. However I would guess that it has not indexed all of the possible measures, or something along those lines.

Is there a way of solving this? Otherwise I'll have to use inferior workarounds.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TM_Visual ,

Please try to keep your version of Power BI Desktop up-to-date to avoid problems caused by the version.
Hidden measures will not appear in the list of options, Please check that the measures you are trying to access are not hidden from the report view.
Based on your description, you can also check the metrics [FTE Enrol] and [FTE Enroll 2021] for any syntax errors or problems. These errors may prevent them from appearing in the list of options.
I also found a similar post, please refer to it and see if it helps you.

Solved: Q&A new measures not recognized - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Yulia Yan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I encountered the same thing yesterday. Looks like the text box visual only accepts measures declared as type text. Add a string to your measure result

Measure = divide(a,b,0( & " "

Or use FORMAT.

v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TM_Visual ,

Please try to keep your version of Power BI Desktop up-to-date to avoid problems caused by the version.
Hidden measures will not appear in the list of options, Please check that the measures you are trying to access are not hidden from the report view.
Based on your description, you can also check the metrics [FTE Enrol] and [FTE Enroll 2021] for any syntax errors or problems. These errors may prevent them from appearing in the list of options.
I also found a similar post, please refer to it and see if it helps you.

Solved: Q&A new measures not recognized - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Yulia Yan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Maybe it is a subtle hint that you have too many measures.

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.