Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

What is the equivalent of USERPRINCIPALNAME() in SSRS/Report Builder? Do I even need to bother?

I have two datasets -

1 - Employee cell phone usage data

2 - Employee position look up or hierarchy data. This represents a nested set with parent child nodes with a left and right anchor for each node such that by traversing either anchors you can tell who reports to whom and who is the boss of whom. 

Trying to implement row level security in a paginated report with with a nested heirarchy/set model. On PowerBI side, we can implement roles using the USERPRINCIPALNAME() and some custom DAX code.

What is the equivalent of USERPRINCIPALNAME() in report builder? For code I know I have to use VB instead of DAX. 

In previous paginated reports that I've published where it was essential to capture the ID of the user running the report, I've used the built-in function "UserID" in report builder. This, when run locally (desktop) returns the user id logged in to the PC which in my case happens to be my 5 digit employee ID , e.g. 12345, but on Power BI service, it somehow translates it into the UPN itself which looks like - "EmployeeName@organization.com".

So bottomline, do I even need to worry about a report builder equivalent of UPN and let the API handle it instead? How would that translate to my code?

The desired end result is that every employee should be able to view their own company cell phone usage $$ amounts (base rate, data charges, roaming, etc.) and the bosses should be able to see the usage of all employees under them. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yeah... this was frustrating. The deadline for this report was approaching fast and at the end, I ended up handling RLS on SQL side by taking the employee ID as a parameter passed to a SQL proc that would trigger the RLS implementation on what rows are returned for proc execution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BMG001
Frequent Visitor

This needs to be addressed, i have managed to make this work per Visual but this is just stupid 😄 

Give us @UserID etc to be able to filter full datasett like we can in old SSRS and Pagenated Reports, this will chill the RLS stuff, if the user can just see what is relavant to him, this is not an issue on security, just see relevant data per Report Page in Power BI.

@pborah @AlexPowers  (yepp Tagged Alex 🙂 worth the try)

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yeah... this was frustrating. The deadline for this report was approaching fast and at the end, I ended up handling RLS on SQL side by taking the employee ID as a parameter passed to a SQL proc that would trigger the RLS implementation on what rows are returned for proc execution.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/paginated-reports-rls

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@vanessafvg sorry you responded while I was updating my question. The link you provided is basic info on how to set up rudimentary RLS in paginated reports and does not fully apply to my problem. I've already gone over that and several other documentations and forum posts here, stackoverflow, and sqlservercentral. 

I'd really appreciate it if you re-read my elaborated question and see if you can help. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.