Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

deekay1980
Frequent Visitor

What is my OData URL for to connect power BI desktop to a data set in Power bi service

Hi All,

I have a connection with Xero and I would like to try and use the data to model Cashflow forecasting but I can't do that without modeling the date. Now because Xero doesnt have a connection to Power BI desktop I need to get the dataset into desktop somehow. I thought I could you the OData feature but I have no idea to work out what my OData URL is for power Bi service.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Dana

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

hi @deekay1980

Could you not potentially connect to your dataset in the Power BI Service using Power BI Desktop using the Get Data Experience.

Here is a link on how to get it implemented.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks. Yes I have tried that. Unfortunately, it only connects the reports. It doesnt give me to the the dataset. Would you know why it wouldn't?

If that doesnt work, how do I find the OData URL?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Dana

Hi @deekay1980

When you connect via the Dataset in the Service it should just connect to the dataset and then you can create reports?

Do you have a screenshot of what happens when you connect to the dataset?

Power BI Blog

As you can see @GilbertQ I only have the report option on the left hand side and now dataset below or relationship structure.

I am unable to create any new columns or tables or change formatting. It is very annoying.

That is why I thought it might be better to try and connect to Xero via OData???

Thoughts?

Hi @deekay1980

Ok I now understand I would then suggest looking at gettting the data via the OData feed.

Power BI Blog

Thanks. But how do I work out the odata url?

Screenshot_2.jpgScreenshot_1.jpg

Hi @deekay1980

Thanks for the screenshot, is that not what you expected as you now have access to the dataset?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.