Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Matt22365
Resolver III
Resolver III

Visual to Show project stageGate

Hi

I have been developing a one-page report based on my project online information using Power BI. I would like to use a visual on a report to show which stage my project is currently in.

Ideally, the visual will keep a view of all stages and just highlight the relevant stage for each project. The attached picture is what I would like, where the grey boxes show the stages of the project and the pink is the stage of the current project.

The Data source is MS Project from an enterprise Project level custom column where the user specifies the project status

I have attempted to use cards visuals and horizontal funnels but cannot get the desired outcome.

The visual doesn't have to be exactly the same as the picture, just a way for showing all stages horizontally with the current stage highlighted.

I hope someone can help

stagegate.png

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Matt22365
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi

Thanks for all the help, however I managed to find a way to match my picture.

For those who may have a similar issue, this is how I did it:

1. Download the Advance card from the store
  2. Create a compiled "If" formula in the pivot table to convert the stage wording into numbers i.e. =if(project status = "Feasibility",1,if(......... I named this new field "Project Status Number"
  3. Create an advanced card for each stage and shape it with the show stroke formater
  4. Add project stage number to the condition field only
  5. Colour all 4 backgrounds grey
  6. Set the 1st card to represent the first stage, condition format to: "No. of Conditions" = 1; "If value is" "=", "Value" = "1" then background is pink
  7. Repeat 6 for the other project stages
  8. Then, as you cant wordwrap in the cards, I overlayed a text box with the names of the stages.

Then just organise it how you like. This was how it turned out

stagegate2.png

Thanks

Matt

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Matt22365
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi

Thanks for all the help, however I managed to find a way to match my picture.

For those who may have a similar issue, this is how I did it:

1. Download the Advance card from the store
  2. Create a compiled "If" formula in the pivot table to convert the stage wording into numbers i.e. =if(project status = "Feasibility",1,if(......... I named this new field "Project Status Number"
  3. Create an advanced card for each stage and shape it with the show stroke formater
  4. Add project stage number to the condition field only
  5. Colour all 4 backgrounds grey
  6. Set the 1st card to represent the first stage, condition format to: "No. of Conditions" = 1; "If value is" "=", "Value" = "1" then background is pink
  7. Repeat 6 for the other project stages
  8. Then, as you cant wordwrap in the cards, I overlayed a text box with the names of the stages.

Then just organise it how you like. This was how it turned out

stagegate2.png

Thanks

Matt

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Matt22365,

How about you create a a Matrix visual and configure conditional formatting in the Matrix? There is a similar thread for your reference.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Displaying-project-status/td-p/132911

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Thanks for your response. I have a similar visual for hs showing finish variance which works really well and gets great feedback

However, the graphic I am after for this is more of a flow chart than a heat map. Maybe there may be a way to conditional format shapes rather than a table/matrix

Thanks

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.