Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

carlos_delcid
Regular Visitor

Visual Interactions not working properly

Good day, I am very new to Power BI and am currently working with my first report. I have setup 3 particular charts, one column and two line charts with filter interaction enabled. All three are setup from the same data table. The "Downtime" column chart is generated from a different table with a relationship setup and working properly and is not the focus on this post.

Report Visuals and Interactions.PNG

The "KWh Sold by Month" shows data per month with a text column and both line charts show data per day by using a date column. Bare in mind I have to work with a financial calendar, meaning the start and end dates are defined in the table and will not match the regular calendar.

When a single column is selected from the column chart, the data is filtered correctly in the "KWh sold by Day" line chart but shows blank values for the selected month in the "Boiler Capacity" line chart:

Visuals filtered.PNG

Both charts are setup in the same way, except for the visual filters required for the data to be shown in each line chart and use the same table as source. 

This is a sample of the data table used for the three charts in question:

TablePBI.PNG

how can i make the filter interaction work correctly for both line charts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @carlos_delcid,

You can try to apply the visual level filters in a measure. Then you can interact the visuals freely. Here is the file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-BkgQ1cYT_K_W_lUKBg

Measure KWH Sold =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Dashboard Data'[Value] ),
    'Dashboard Data'[Attribute] = "KWH Sold"
)
Measure Boiler Capacity =
CALCULATE (
    'Dashboard Data'[Attribute] = "Boiler Capacity"
)

Visual Interactions not working properly.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
carlos_delcid
Regular Visitor

Using a Slicer works, so the formatting on my table is adequate. However, using a slicer is not a solution at the moment as it takes space for more charts i wish to place.

Capture.PNG

The original problem still remains, I wish the function of the slicer to be done by highlighting the month on the column chart. I tried adding one more line chart with the same result. the only line chart that works correctly is the first one, the other two just show blanks.

Capture.PNG

Hi @carlos_delcid,

This is a little strange. If you want the visuals to interact with each other, you don't need to define the interactions. 

1. Are the fileds of the X-axis (horizontal) of all the visuals from the same table (even the same column)?

2. Did you use any measures in "boiler capacity"?

3. I wonder if it's possible for you to share the file (".pbix").

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-jiascu-msft,

here is the information:

1. Are the fileds of the X-axis (horizontal) of all the visuals from the same table (even the same column)?

they are from the same table but different columns. the column chart uses the "Month" column and the line charts use the "Date" column from the table: "Dashboard Data"

2. Did you use any measures in "boiler capacity"?

no measures, the only "special" columns were conditional columns to define the days of the month according to the financial calendar. 

3. I wonder if it's possible for you to share the file (".pbix").

I cannot share the original. I have created a sample report with the same effects and the same problem. You'll notice 3 different tables now and a different arrangement of the visuals but the problem still persist. Every interaction between visuals from the same table but with different attributes and categories for each visual will not interact properly and show blanks as a result. you can find the .pbix file here: OneDrive Shareable.

Hi @carlos_delcid,

Sorry for so late. The trick is the visual level filter. 

The Attribute of "KWh Sold per Month - 2017" is "KWH Sold", while the attribute of "Boiler Capacity - 2017" is "Boiler Capacity". When you filter the report by a visual, the attribute can't be two values at the same time. If you exclude the visual "Boiler Capacity - 2017" by "Edit interactions", the line will be there. 

If you create a table like the part 2 of the picture and filter by clicking the row, you will find out this trick.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hello @v-jiascu-msft,

Thank you for the reply, disabling the interaction between visuals with different attributes will stop showing blank results indeed, but they won't interact at all.

My intention with this post is as follows:

Is it possible for the interaction to filter by "Month" only, excluding the "Attribute" on the other line charts? Like I mentioned before, I wish the function of filtering by the slicer to be done by selecting a specific month from the column table, that means filtering all the other charts by "Month".

If you use the "Downtime" column chart as I intend, it will work and filter every other chart with filter interaction enabled by month. This chart, however, is generated from a different table with the column "Month" with a both-way, many-to-1 relationship.

here is the example:

Capture.PNG

Hi @carlos_delcid,

You can try to apply the visual level filters in a measure. Then you can interact the visuals freely. Here is the file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-BkgQ1cYT_K_W_lUKBg

Measure KWH Sold =
CALCULATE (
    'Dashboard Data'[Attribute] = "KWH Sold"
)
Measure Boiler Capacity =
CALCULATE (
    'Dashboard Data'[Attribute] = "Boiler Capacity"
)

Best Regards!

Dale

hello @v-jiascu-msft,

Thank you for the reply, using measures works great. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.