Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Alexvl

Variable Based "Min Value in Y Axis" Troubleshooting

Hi, I'm having the following issue:

- I have created a graph that based on the filters applied, changes the total values displayed in the graph.

- I have created a variable called "BridgeYAxisMinValue" which I want to assign as the Min Value in the Y axis of the graph so that it's not starting from 0 and the visibility of the graph is better.

- The variable is working - I'm getting the right number which should be assigned to the graph y axis but it's simply not taking it into account and it's always set at 0.

- When I plug the value as a number (Instead of as a variable) on the y axis MIN field, the graph adjusts perfectly as I need it

- I have assigned the variable as a whole number/integer and it hasn´t helped.

Has anyone seen or encountered this issue? Would you have any idea of what could be causing it or any suggestion how to solve it? Any input would be highly appreciated as I've been trying to fix it in many ways and none have helped.

Thanks!

Alex

Example Below:

(The min value in the Y axis should be 257 instead of 0)

Alexvl_1-1702906254217.png

5 REPLIES 5
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Alexvl ,

my measure looks like this:

vizAid MinValue for y-axis = 
var colorsContainPink = IF( CONTAINSROW( VALUES( 'DimProduct'[ColorName] ) , "Pink" )
    , 1
    , 0
)
return

if( colorsContainPink = 1 
    , 20000000
    , 200000000
)

The measure above "simulates" a dynamic Minimum value.

The below gif shows that selecting Pink adjusts the minimum value, and selecting a color that has a value assigned greater than the minimum value works as well.
Minimum Value y axis.gif
But when selecting a color that is not Pink nor a color with a value greater that the Minumum value an internal rule seems to kick in.

Maybe adds some help.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Alexvl ,

what data visualization type are you using?

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens , I'm using the standard waterfall chart: 

Alexvl_0-1702907847329.png

Hey @Alexvl ,

this is weird, because it seems to work on my side:

TomMartens_0-1702908179408.png

I created a simple measure and used this as the min value on the waterfall chart.

I noticed that the chart returns to 0 as a min value when the max value is smaller than the min value, this happens due to filtering.

TomMartens_1-1702908468021.png

Is this something you are encountering?

Hopefully, this provides some ideas of how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens thanks for the suggestions - I started looking into it and found this:

Do you know why, even if the variable value is considering the right number (calculaton-wise), the minimum value on the graph is only the constant one assigned? Below an example of what's happening on my graph:

Here's how I'm calculating the variable, adding a 100 constant in the end for testing purposes:

Alexvl_3-1702910462847.png

Here's how the waterfall looks like, and as you can see, it only takes the 100 constant instead of the actual calculation which would give 497 (I have tried it also with values which are below the Max number in the waterfall and it still takes the constant as reference, not even 0, fx below, where the Min Value on the variable assigned to Y is 497, yet the min Y value given is only the 100 constant):

Alexvl_5-1702910746279.png

Alexvl_6-1702910767602.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.