Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Zach_
Frequent Visitor

Value summary and default summary change not working

For some reason I am unable to change the summarization of my value fields.
I have even changed the default summarization to no avail. 
Im not sure why this has happend but this is the second report it has happend on and it seems totaly random I have not changed anything in the settings of the report only been writing measures ect.. 
Also it will not even allow me add values to a matrix visual since it wont summarize them. It will only allow me to add measures. 
Any insight or help would be appreciated. 

Zach__0-1675884666799.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zach_
Frequent Visitor

Wanted to circle back microsoft support found the issue. 
In attempting to mess around with calculation groups in tabular editor it changed a defaul setting in the model.
Discourage Implicit Measures in order for the Default summarization to work in power bi this must be set to false. 
If you create any calculation groups it by default turns this feature off for the model and cannot be on if calculation groups are present in the model. 
So the solution was to delete the Calculation Groups and change the setting by clicking on Model and Changing the True to false under Discourage Implicit Measures.  

Hope this helps someone else that has run across this issue like me. 

Zach__0-1677792047720.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Zach_
Frequent Visitor

Wanted to circle back microsoft support found the issue. 
In attempting to mess around with calculation groups in tabular editor it changed a defaul setting in the model.
Discourage Implicit Measures in order for the Default summarization to work in power bi this must be set to false. 
If you create any calculation groups it by default turns this feature off for the model and cannot be on if calculation groups are present in the model. 
So the solution was to delete the Calculation Groups and change the setting by clicking on Model and Changing the True to false under Discourage Implicit Measures.  

Hope this helps someone else that has run across this issue like me. 

Zach__0-1677792047720.png

Zach_
Frequent Visitor

Hello this is not a SQL analysis service. It is a SQL Server set to import data. And the issue is that it was working and then something I did broke the function completely. Have a work ticket in with microsoft support and they have been working to try and figure out the issue fore a couple weeks now to no avail. 
I would up just having to re create the file. Took special attention to shrinking the size of my model and the memory storage. 

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Zach_ ,

If your data souce is from SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), you can't aggregate text fields.

Please refer to the official document.

Work with aggregates (sum, average, and so on) in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vstephenmsft_0-1675927228223.png

If not, please tell me what your data source is, what your connection modeis, what your field data type is, and whether the measure was added.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.