Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

teetoes
Frequent Visitor

Value not returning all selected in DAX formula

I'm hoping someone sees something obvious that I'm just missing here. I have a formula that I want to use to create a column that gives the total from the prior inception date year. I have a slicer in my report and when nothing is selected, it works as expected and adds all the prior years, subtracts the current year value and gives a total. Great, that's perfect. If I select a single year, it gives me exactly what I need. The issue comes when I try selecting multiple years. It seems to only be pulling some of the selections, and leaving one out, so the total is off just a wee bit. For example, if I select years 2022, 2021, 2019 then it excludes the prioryearGWP for 2019 from the total. I'm not sure why this is occurring. I think my Var Period is where my issue lies, but I'm fresh out of ideas on what's missing.

Here's my dax:

Prior Year(s) Gross Written Premium = 
VAR SelectedYear =
SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Inception Date].[Year] )
VAR CurrentYear =
MAX('Table'[Inception Date].[Year])
VAR PolNumCacTable =
CALCULATETABLE('Table', ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Policy Number],'Table'[Agreement ID]))
VAR PriorYear =
MAXX (FILTER ( PolNumTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = (CurrentYear - 1 )), 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] )
VAR PriorYearGWP =
SUMX ( FILTER(PolNumCacTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = PriorYear), 'Table'[Gross Written Premium Amount] )
VAR CurrentYrGWP =
SUMX ( FILTER(PolNumTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = CurrentYear), 'Table'[Gross Written Premium Amount] )
VAR Period =
IF (
SelectedYear = (PriorYear + 1),
CALCULATE(PriorYearGWP, ALLSELECTED('Table'[Inception Date].[Year])),
CALCULATE(SUMX('Table', [Gross Written Premium Amount]) - CurrentYrGWP)
)

RETURN
{Period}

9 REPLIES 9
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data and show the exact result you are expecting.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Policy NumberYearGross WrittenPrior Year Gross Written
Total 7550

For simplicity, here is a table I created to show policy number, gross written and prior year gross. What I would like is 3 potential results in the total row:

Scenario 1: User selects no years from the slicer - we would get a value exactly as we see above, where gross for all years is totalled and then prior year totalled

Scenario 2: User select single year. For example, if the user selects 2018, then gross written column would just show the total for policies from 2018, in this case it would be 20 and then for prior year it would show the total for 2017 which would be 5.

Scenario 3: User selects multiple year. For example, they select 2020 and 2019, then we would see the prior year total of 2019 and 2018. So in this case gross would be 35 and prior year would be 45

Is that helpful?

Hi @teetoes 

In your sample data here, the last column is not prior year gross, but prior policy gross, right? Is it a measure or a recorded information already in data?

If you select slicer in 2018, gross written would be 20 and prior year gross would be of 2017 i.e. 5, but your last column is showing prior policy gross of 15. 

It may be like that, but first like to confirm with you.

Thanks.

Prior year gross is a measure of the sum of gross from the prior year's written premium. Policies have more than one row in our db so we roll all of these amounts into one in the original query to get a single value for gross written premium. 

I see why the confusion. Policy number should all be 1 in this table to make the example work. Sorry about that.

Hi,

You have shared the matrix (result) table.  Share a sample of the raw data in a format that can be pasted in an MS Excel file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @teetoes,

Can you please try this:

VAR SelectedYear =
    SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Inception Date].[Year])
VAR CurrentYear =
VAR PolNumCacTable =
    CALCULATETABLE('Table', ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Policy Number], 'Table'[Agreement ID]))
VAR PriorYear =
    MAXX(FILTER(PolNumCacTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = (CurrentYear - 1)), 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year])
VAR PriorYearGWP =
    SUMX(FILTER(PolNumCacTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = PriorYear), 'Table'[Gross Written Premium Amount])
VAR CurrentYrGWP =
    SUMX(FILTER(PolNumCacTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = CurrentYear), 'Table'[Gross Written Premium Amount])
VAR Period =
    IF(
        SelectedYear = (PriorYear + 1),
        CALCULATE(SUMX('Table', [Gross Written Premium Amount]), ALLSELECTED('Table'[Inception Date].[Year])) - CurrentYrGWP,
    )
RETURN
    {Period}

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

When I try that, it gives me 0.00 for any single selection and is not giving the correct total when multi-select, or giving the correct amount for anything selected 2020 and prior.

Thank you for your feedback. Perhaps try:

VAR SelectedYear =
    SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Inception Date].[Year])
VAR CurrentYear =
VAR PolNumCacTable =
    CALCULATETABLE('Table', ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Policy Number], 'Table'[Agreement ID]))
VAR PriorYear =
    CurrentYear - 1
VAR PriorYearGWP =
    SUMX(FILTER(PolNumCacTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = PriorYear), 'Table'[Gross Written Premium Amount])
VAR CurrentYrGWP =
    SUMX(FILTER(PolNumCacTable, 'Table'[Inception Date].[Year] = CurrentYear), 'Table'[Gross Written Premium Amount])
VAR Period =
    IF(
        SelectedYear = PriorYear,
        PriorYearGWP,
    )
RETURN
    Period

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

That gives the same resulting zeroes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.