Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

travisstaker
Frequent Visitor

Unknown Error: Invalid Class when starting Power BI Destop

This only happens with the latest version of Power BI Desktop.  If I uninstall it and install the previous version I don't get the error:

What do I do to resolve it?

Here's the details:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2017-02-20T16:50:28.5181916Z

Local Time:
2017-02-20T09:50:28.5181916-07:00

Product Version:
2.43.4647.541 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Release:
February 2017

IE Version:

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.10586.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.6.1 or later [Release Number = 394254]

Workbook Package Info:
None

Peak Working Set:
180 MB

Private Memory:
120 MB

Peak Virtual Memory:
33.2 GB

Error Message:
Invalid class

Stack Trace:
System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid class
at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Telemetry.PowerBITelemetryManager.GetProcessorInfo()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

User ID:
6697c699-26fb-48f8-9ad5-157fd534d50a

Session ID:
61ac6967-99af-43b5-a299-f93c10a1ac44

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
travisstaker
Frequent Visitor

I got it to work.  The group that does the patching at my company was holding back some of the windows updates.  I applied all of the patches including the latest sql server cu's.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
travisstaker
Frequent Visitor

I got it to work.  The group that does the patching at my company was holding back some of the windows updates.  I applied all of the patches including the latest sql server cu's.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @travisstaker,

I test with 2.42.4611.901, 2.43.4647.541(64-bit) but haven't faced your issue. Which version you re-installed? Can you share some more detail information?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

The version that works for me is the January version. Version: 2.42.4611.701 64-bit (January 2017).  I've tried to completely uninstall power bi, rebooted then tried the Feb 2017 version and still get the Unknown Error: Invalid Class issue.  It doesn't let me send a frown and freezes with the error message displayed.

What further information would you like?

Hi @travisstaker,

I also test to with version 701 and the last version but work smooth.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
lpcordeiro
Regular Visitor

Same error. I raised a ticket in support yesterday (02/21). Waiting...

Did support figure this out for you?

I tried opening a ticket but it kept telling me to try again later.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.