Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

styxbe
Regular Visitor

Understanding calculate and slicer behaviour

Hi,
I am new to PowerBI/DAX but (think) I have a decent understanding of the basics. I run into behaviour I don't understand though:
So with very simple sample data:

styxbe_0-1711619963671.png

I want to display the last date for [model] before the current date. The current date is selected with a slicer:

styxbe_1-1711620070637.png

The measure is set up like this:

Previous Occurence = 
    VAR selecteddate = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Date])
    RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        MAX(Data[Date]),
        FILTER(
            ALL(Data[Date]),
            Data[Date]<selecteddate
        )
    )

I would expect ALL to remove all filters from [Date], but the slicer still seems to be applied. In above screenshot I would expect model A50003 to shop up with date 08/01/2024, but it is blank because the model was not present for the date selected in the slicer.

When I use a separate date table without relationship, it does work like expected:

styxbe_2-1711620371653.png

Would like to understand why this is happening and whether I can achieve this without a separate table.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zang_Mi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello, I will say it is not possible achieving the desired result without a separate table (for slicer), since the data field used a row and dates are from the same table, for this reason, when a model is not present on the day selected, it will not be displayed in the visual.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Zang_Mi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello, I will say it is not possible achieving the desired result without a separate table (for slicer), since the data field used a row and dates are from the same table, for this reason, when a model is not present on the day selected, it will not be displayed in the visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.