Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dhrub
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect with Oracle DB from Power BI -Recommended data provider oracle.dataAccess.Client

Dear Team, 

Firstly since we are in genAI age, I did took help from Copilot /gemini /previous post on same issue ,but could not fix 
When i try to get data from oracle i am getting Error in screenshot below.

What i have tried so far .
1) I have installed per recommendation on oracle and microsoft official website installed ORACLE client for microsoft tools 
Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools
2) Per copilot and gemini suggestion , i am absolutely sure that -the bitness of my power bi 64 is same as Oracle client for microsoft tool , out of frustration even i installed both the version 64 and 32 to see if it works , same error 
3) Per gemini suggestion i even configured path variable 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools\odp.net\managed\common
C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools\odp.net\bin\4
4) Per gemini suggestion , i have verified by microscope that dll exists in above location , and the path is correct 
6)I have Read and execute permission on the Dll in above path
7)Per copilot suggestion i have verified that i have read and execute permission on 
8)Even thought Additional -oracle instant client is not needed per the documentation , but based on some crazy post , since i want to try everthing i can i even installed oracle instant client same is pointed in oracle client for microsoft tools
9)Per age old suggestion , I have uninstalled and reinstalled oracle cilent for microsoft tools many times and restarted my system
10) Same ,with power bi , i reinstalled after uninstalling 
9) You may ask Power bi version , its april , just to rule out i even installed and checked Jan 2024 version , same issue 
10) To put icing on cake , I even tried to connect via visual studio ssas , I get the same issue 😞 

I am sure there is som fundamental steps i missed out ? Does excerpt here can pls help me out .

Recommended data provider oracle.dataAccess.Client is not installed 

dhrub_0-1715513857227.png

Finally if i proceed i get this and stuck

dhrub_1-1715513892786.png

3 REPLIES 3
dhrub
Frequent Visitor

Hi @lbendlin  CAn you pls tell me what is the link of native oracle driver .
I have installed oracle instant client & odbc driver as well already
in the client i have configured the tnsname.ora file 
and then the path of that file is mentioned in TNS_ADMIN system environment variable 
TNS_ADMIN : C:\Users\xxx_yyy\instantclient_21_13\network\admin
Now when i connect using power bi i am still getting same error 
Note : i used the tns name 

content of tnsnames.ora
MYDB =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =blablabutcorrect)(PORT =1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME =blablabutcorrect)
)
)

dhrub_1-1715584898863.png

dhrub_0-1715584842199.png

That looks better .  Try downgrading to v19

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

None of that is necessary. Install the native Oracle driver, use the TNSNAMES.ORA file to define your connections and then use the TNS name to connect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.